  1. I have a jar file that works well on my local machine, and does what I need it to do. This jar file reads a directory of images and manipulates them and stores results in a separate directory.

    I want to provide a web page to a client that will allow them to process data on their machine using my jar file and my web site / server.

    How do I go about doing that?

    SpreadTooThin, Apr 4, 2013

  2. You can deploy your JAR from your server to a client machine using
    Java Web Start: <http://stackoverflow.com/tags/java-web-start/info>

    If that's not what you want, I don't understand the question.

    John B. Matthews, Apr 4, 2013

  3. Does that run the jar application in a window of the clients browser?
    If so then yes that is what I want.

    SpreadTooThin, Apr 4, 2013
  4. SpreadTooThin

    markspace Guest

    With Java Web Start, yes it does run in a window. I believe you'll need
    a certificate to sign the app with however.

    markspace, Apr 4, 2013
  5. SpreadTooThin

    Roedy Green Guest

    You have to get them to download and install it (perhaps using an
    installer) Or you can put some Java WebStart around it, or you can
    turn it into a signed or unsigned java Applet.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javawebstart.html
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/applet.html
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/installer.html
    Motors make noise, and that tells you about the feelings and attitudes
    that went into it. Something was more important than sensory pleasure --
    nobody would invent a chair or dish that smelled bad or that made horrible
    noises -- why were motors invented noisy? How could they possibly be
    considered complete or successful inventions with this glaring defect?
    Unless, of course, the aggressive, hostile, assaultive sound actually served
    to express some impulse of the owner.
    ~ Philip Slater (born: 1927 age: 85)
    The Wayward Gate: Science and the Supernatural

    Roedy Green, Apr 4, 2013
  6. SpreadTooThin

    David Lamb Guest

    You don't need to sign the app if you're willing to have Java ask for
    confirmation before just about anything you do, e.g. to open a file. You
    do need to sign if you want all those verification steps to go away.
    Most people seem to want their JWS app to run with full permissions to
    do anything they want to the client machine.

    David Lamb, Apr 4, 2013
  7. John B. Matthews, Apr 4, 2013
  8. SpreadTooThin

    markspace Guest

    The OP says the application reads a directory on the local hard drive;
    he'll need permission of some sort for that.

    markspace, Apr 4, 2013
  9. SpreadTooThin

    markspace Guest

    I think what you're talking about requires using a special API. If you
    use the normal one it just throws an error. I'm assuming he doesn't
    want to re-code his app.

    markspace, Apr 4, 2013
  10. SpreadTooThin

    Joerg Meier Guest

    To be fair, that is only what every single garden variety program runs with
    by default.

    Liebe Gruesse,
    Joerg

    Joerg Meier, Apr 4, 2013
  11. I don't think we know yet if the JAR contains an applet or an
    application. A signed applet can access the local filesystem, but an
    unsigned application can request <all-permissions/>.

    I habitually sign everything to detect tampering.

    John B. Matthews, Apr 5, 2013