Run VPython on FC3

Discussion in 'Python' started by York, Sep 16, 2005.

  1. York

    York Guest

    Hi everybody,

    I am trying to run VPython on FC3. The installation was fine. But when I
    "import visual", an error occurs:

    """Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/visual/__init__.py", line 15, in ?
    import array_backend
    File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/visual/array_backend.py", line
    1, in ?
    import cvisual
    ImportError: libgtkgl.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file
    or directory"""

    It seems Python cannot open/find the file "libgtkgl.so.4", but it
    definitely lies in the lib directory:

    /usr/local/lib/libgtkgl.so.4.0.0
    /usr/local/lib/libgtkgl.so.4

    Does anybody know a solution for this problem?

    Thanks very much,

    York

    York, Sep 16, 2005

  2. In the darkest hour on Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:44:34 -0700,
    You need libgtk-(open)gl package (i don't know the exact name in FC).

    Artur M. Piwko, Sep 16, 2005

  3. York

    York Guest

    Actually the gtkgl was installed, I can find it at /usr/local/lib:
    /usr/local/lib/libgtkgl.so.4.0.0
    /usr/local/lib/libgtkgl.so.4

    - York

    York, Sep 16, 2005
  4. In the darkest hour on Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:45:33 -0700,
    Check for presence of /usr/local/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf
    Append it if necessary. Don't forget to run ldconfig afterwards.

    Artur M. Piwko, Sep 23, 2005