Running and Feeding Input to Interactive Program in Windows from Perl Script

zemalf

I know how to start a program, and get it's output, this is not the
case. I need to start the program and feed input to it (optionally
reading the programs output at the same time).

So, I'm using a program that runs in windows cmd (so I must run the
script in windows), and all of it's functions can't be executed via
command line parameters.

So if I run it "manually" it goes something like this
c:\>tester -report
what do you want to check: TEST
what version you want to check: 2
what report: A

...and then the 'tester' outputs TEST, version 2, report A into screen
and into file..

I haven't been able to do this in windows. I've read that it would be
possible if this was unix, but in windows I can't pipe the program both
ways, so I can't read the programs output and input it at the same
time.
Actually it would be enough, if I could just input these to the
'tester' (I can get the file it outputs automatically with the -report
switch):
1: tester -report (start it)
2: TEST
3: 2
4: A

the program (1) is always the same, with the -report switch. 2,3 & 4
might vary

Can this be done in windows (and with Perl)? If it can be done, how it
can be done?
Expect maybe? But I couldn't get verification from documentation that
it works in Windows as well.

Jürgen Exner

I know how to start a program, and get it's output, this is not the
case. I need to start the program and feed input to it (optionally
reading the programs output at the same time).

You are probably looking for the Expect module.

jue