Running python scripts from the command line.

Nanderson

I've recently started to program. Python is my first language, so I'm
a complete beginner. I've been trying to call python scripts from the
command line by entering this command into it:

But it gives me this error message:
File "<stdin>", line 1
python test.py
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I know that test.py exists, and the script is correct (here is is
anyways):

a = 1
if a:
print 'Value of a is', a

I am using python 2.7.1 installed on Windows 7. This seems like
something that should be easy, so I'm sure I'm just missing a very
small problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Anderson

Benjamin Kaplan

I've recently started to program. Python is my first language, so I'm
a complete beginner. I've been trying to call python scripts from the
command line by entering this command into it:

But it gives me this error message:

 File "<stdin>", line 1
   python test.py
                  ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I know that test.py exists, and the script is correct (here is is
anyways):

a = 1
if a:
   print 'Value of a is', a

I am using python 2.7.1 installed on Windows 7. This seems like
something that should be easy, so I'm sure I'm just missing a very
small problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Anderson

You're already in Python when you type that. If you want to run a
script, you need to call Python from your normal shell, not from
inside the Python interpreter.

$ python
Python 2.6.6 (r266:84292, Jan 10 2011, 20:14:15)
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.Traceback (most recent call last):
$ python test.py
Value of a is 1

[...]

Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.>>> python

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'python' is not defined>>> exit()

$  python test.py
Value of a is 1

Wow, thank you very much for your help. This worked absolutely great.
I feel like a huge n00b after that though; it was just so obvious!
Anyways, like I said before, thank you very much for your help.

Anderson