Script Alternative: Client-Site Controls by Custom .NET Assemblies ?

sqpost

Hi,
Can we enrich the client site controls with a compiled C# class instead
of javascript functions?
With ASP.NET, isn't it possible to write a control in C# and embed the
compiled dll into the object tag by which the user can download it and
the page controls can access this dll (a temporary client-site .net
assambly) to use the necesary methods in an isolated secure level?
( There is an old article on how to use windows forms on a web page,
but couldnt find any recent article or sample :(
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/06/Rich/default.aspx )

Thanks

sqpost

Thanks for your reply Patrice.
I couldnt see a sample on that windowsforms.net site but I think its
the same sample which I found here:
http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/winforms/doc/WinFormsIeSourcing.aspx
(it worked!)
And I found an other old article here:
http://www.15seconds.com/issue/030610.htm
As far as I understand if the client has .net framework and IE, thats
enough to run these samples. No need to add the site to "trusted zone"
or any other security adjustments, right?
Still I wonder if I can find a proper online website which uses these
techniques to see the full potential. May be it is just practical for
intranet applications so this is why there is not much samples on the
internet.

Patrice

It depends what the application does. By default you are not allowed of
course to access local resources (isolated sotrage thought should work and
..NET even provide a method that allows to open a file only through user
interaction allowing really basic file interaction). Beyond you'll need to
alter the settings...

For simple controls, you can use HTML. For more complex applications, it's
likely run only as you said on an intranet. so you'll lkely have a hard time
to find such a site (except perhaps a dev focused site). Could be an
interesting "niche" topic.