scripts vs. code behind

Neil Zanella

Hello,

I would like to know what the advantages and disadvantages of using on-page
scripts versus code-behind are. It seems to me that both accomplish the same
thing, so I would like to hear pros and cons.

Thanks,

Neil

TJS

it's not either or , use both..
compile reusable functions (.vb classes) into DLL's and put individual
pages into scripts (.aspx ) which call content from modules (.ascx)

Kevin Spencer

Hi Neil,

The advantage of using "scripts" as you call it (non-compiled pages), is
that you don't need to compile them, which saves you a little trouble if you
don't have Visual Studio.Net. You are correct in that, in the final
analysis, there isn't much difference in performance from each type of app.
Non-compiled pages are compiled at run-time, and are cached.

One advantage of using compiled apps is that you can organize your app into
various DLLs, some of which can be used across multiple applications, such
as Business layer or Data Layer DLLs. Sharing copies of page files would be
much more complicated.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer