scrollbars and boxes

Duane Evenson

I'm haveing trouble making my scrollbars work. Inside my scrollpane I have
a horizontal Box full of verticle Box's. Inside this, I'm adding and
removing JLabels. When the components move down past the viewing area, the
scrollbars aren't reacting. Could it be the glue I'm adding, or is it the
preferred and minimum sizes I'm specifying? I've tried these and other
things but am stumped.

Here's a code snippet:

Box[] column = new Box[5];
Dimension prefSize = new Dimension(100, 0);
Dimension minSize = new Dimension(80, 80);

// columns
Box table = new Box(BoxLayout.X_AXIS);
for (int x = 0; x < 5; x++) {
title[x] = new JLabel(columnNames[x]);
column[x] = new Box(BoxLayout.Y_AXIS);
column[x].add(title[x]);
column[x].add(Box.createGlue());
column[x].setPreferredSize(prefSize);
column[x].setMinimumSize(minSize);
column[x].setAlignmentX(Component.CENTER_ALIGNMENT);
table.add(column[x]);
}
ScrollPane output = new ScrollPane(ScrollPane.SCROLLBARS_ALWAYS);
output.add(table);

pack();
setLocationRelativeTo(null);
setVisible(true);

In an actionlistener I have this:
column.add(new JLabel("" + m[x]));
column[0].add(Box.createGlue());
column[1].add(Box.createGlue());
column[2].add(Box.createGlue());
column[3].add(Box.createGlue());
column[4].add(Box.createGlue());
validate();

[...]

An update;
I've replaced
ScrollPane output = new ScrollPane(ScrollPane.SCROLLBARS_ALWAYS);
output.add(table);
//with
JScrollPane output = new JScrollPane(table);

to no benefit. Still no solution.
JScrollPane