Secure FTP

Daniel Bowett

I need to download files over a secure channel.

I have been looking into Paramiko which seems to have the functonality I
need. The problem is I need a FTP server which supports key based
encryption to install on my windows server.

Has anyone succeeded in doing this? If so - what FTP server did you use?

Dan.

Donn Cave

Daniel Bowett said:
I need to download files over a secure channel.

I have been looking into Paramiko which seems to have the functonality I
need. The problem is I need a FTP server which supports key based
encryption to install on my windows server.

Has anyone succeeded in doing this? If so - what FTP server did you use?

Well, not precisely this, since we're fortunate to be able to
leave the Microsoft part out of the equation, but it may help
to know that GSSAPI Kerberos5 is a standard FTP authentication
that includes encryption, so if you can authenticate that way,
you can get encrypted data transfer.

Microsoft supports and uses Kerberos5 -- their "domain controller"
is a Kerberos KDC -- but interoperability with other platforms is
a problem, and so far as I know it's purely internal and never
supported in Microsoft's own software for any of the client/server
protocols that use it elsewhere.

Donn Cave, (e-mail address removed)

Steve Horsley

Daniel said:
I need to download files over a secure channel.

I have been looking into Paramiko which seems to have the functonality I
need. The problem is I need a FTP server which supports key based
encryption to install on my windows server.

Has anyone succeeded in doing this? If so - what FTP server did you use?

Dan.

OpenSSH (www.openssh.com) supports SFTP which can use a shared
key or certificates for its encryption. It includes both client
and server programs.

HTH
Steve