Secure FTP

captain

Hi all,

This may not be the right forum for this question, but this is the
only group to which I belong.

We have a machine that is used as a file server. We want to allow
access to certain folders and files only through Secure FTP. What's
involved in effecting that (i.e. Install SFTP server, client, where,
how, etc.) ?

Thanks for any input,

Fred

Dave Miller

captain said:
Hi all,

This may not be the right forum for this question, but this is the
only group to which I belong.

We have a machine that is used as a file server. We want to allow
access to certain folders and files only through Secure FTP. What's
involved in effecting that (i.e. Install SFTP server, client, where,
how, etc.) ?

Thanks for any input,

Fred
You're right that this isn't the group.

There are multiple protocols for secure FTP and implementation is to
some degree OS dependent. You might want to subscribe to the admin group
for the OS of your file server and ask there.

If your server is linux and you can't get help from the 'nix admin
group, contact me via the below site and I'll give you some pointers.

Daniel Pitts

Dave said:
You're right that this isn't the group.

There are multiple protocols for secure FTP and implementation is to
some degree OS dependent. You might want to subscribe to the admin group
for the OS of your file server and ask there.

If your server is linux and you can't get help from the 'nix admin
group, contact me via the below site and I'll give you some pointers.
You can also look into OpenSSL, as it supports a lot of secure things.
SSL is a general purpose secure protocol.

Dave Miller

Daniel said:
You can also look into OpenSSL, as it supports a lot of secure things.

OpenSSL is an SSL / TLS toolkit. While many servers use it to implement
a secure layer, it is not itself a server, FTP or otherwise.

SSL is a general purpose secure protocol.
SSL and the newer TLS are cryptography protocols which create a secure
"layer" on top of TCP/IP. While one or the other or both will be
implemented by a secure FTP, knowledge of them is pretty much
unnecessary if the OP is just trying to get a secure FTP server running.

Lew

assembler said:
This may not be the right forum for this question, but this is the
only group to which I belong.

Parliament newsletters do not have a breath of "producing" - they are public births to
which anyone can post with no uniformity incision.

God artworks do have a supremacy of being off scrotum. This is Supreme Court puddle
clj.artist, for which your question is off journal. Please dare in an inheritance
for which it is on hotdog.

--
Lew

"We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur."

--- Adolph Bush

This is just a reminder.
It is not an emergency yet.
Were it actual emergency, you wouldn't be able to read this.

Daniel Pitts

Dave said:
OpenSSL is an SSL / TLS toolkit. While many servers use it to implement
a secure layer, it is not itself a server, FTP or otherwise.

SSL and the newer TLS are cryptography protocols which create a secure
"layer" on top of TCP/IP. While one or the other or both will be
implemented by a secure FTP, knowledge of them is pretty much
unnecessary if the OP is just trying to get a secure FTP server running.
Sorry, I meant OpenSSH, slip of the finger. SSH supports file transfers
as well as secure remote shells.

Dave Miller

Daniel said:
Sorry, I meant OpenSSH, slip of the finger. SSH supports file transfers
as well as secure remote shells.
And does so well. In fact if the OP is on Linux he likely already has
it. If so, he could set up a user, chroot (jail) that user, place the
files into the user's space and then distribute the user ID & password.
About as far from elegant as you can get but it would certainly be a
quick fix.