Segmentation fault installing ruby1.9 together with 1.8

Arthur Chan

I have an existing ruby1.8.7 in my computer.

I've tried to install ruby 1.9 from source or apt-get in my ubuntu.

But it returned segmentation fault in both case.

I've checked the /var/log/kern.log:

ruby1.9[4553]: segfault at 4 ip 00fb4202 sp bfb75254 error 4 in
ld-2.10.1.so[faa000+1b000]

What should I do?

Thanks,
Arthur

Brian Candler

Arthur said:
I've tried to install ruby 1.9 from source or apt-get in my ubuntu.

But it returned segmentation fault in both case.

I've checked the /var/log/kern.log:

ruby1.9[4553]: segfault at 4 ip 00fb4202 sp bfb75254 error 4 in
ld-2.10.1.so[faa000+1b000]

What should I do?

Be more specific:
- what exactly did you type?
- what exactly did you see?
- when exactly did this happen?

For example, are you getting this segfault when you compile ruby 1.9, or
when you run an application? If so, what's the application? Does that
application use any gems? Are any of those gems 'native' gems (i.e.
compile C code)? Are those gems all known to work with ruby 1.9?
http://isitruby19.com/

See also http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro

Also consider why you are running 1.9. If stability and/or compatibility
are important to you, then I'd suggest you stick with 1.8.x

Arthur Chan

Brian said:
Arthur said:
[...]

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your help. The Seg fault happens just after my "ruby1.9"
command.

And you're right, I don't wanna upgrade 1.9 neither.

But when I faced my charset big5 vs utf-8 problem, I found that it may
be quicker to solve the ruby 1.9 problem instead of converting the
strings to big5.

And I solved the seg fault problem not.

I don't know the source of problem but my fix is:

remove all ruby1.9 in my dpkg install and make sure from my source
install "type make uninstall in the source folder"

remove all gems.

reinstall ruby1.9 from source.

reinstall gems by ruby1.9

Then work!