    variables? How can I send them through a packet?
    I'm still learning about networking and ruby, so if I said anything that
    doesn't make sense, please forgive me.

    Isaac Wagner, May 3, 2009

  2. The basic way of constructing packets in ruby is with Array#pack, and
    String#unpack on the other end. See the ri docs or the pickaxe book, or
    ask back here for more help.

    There are some libraries that give you a little language for describing
    and manipulating packets, which can simplify your code and make it
    easier to maintain. I wrote bit-struct[1] and there are at least two
    others[2][3].

    [1] http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/bit-struct
    [2] http://rubyforge.org/projects/bindata
    [3] http://metafuzz.rubyforge.org/binstruct