Creating an open source packet generator

jackster the jackle

I know this is a slightly odd request but it's for a project I'm working
on to create a traffic generator to simulate DDOS (distributed denial of
service) attacks to public websites which have been plaguing the
internet especially lately. I have an IXIA packet generator which can
manipulate any UDP/TCP packet but it costs a lot of money to maintain
that equipment in software maintenance etc...

I think I should be able to create a couple of simple scripts in ruby to
simulate a SYN attack by opening let's say 200,000 port 80 requests to a
web server in my lab, and want to be able to do this from several
different machines using the same spoofed source IP address.

Based on my experiences with real case studies, I am finding that this
takes place on an every day basis to many sites on the internet causing
their routers, firewalls and webservers to crash due to receiving too
many packets/second and not necessarially due to exceeding bandwidth.
The people who are performing these attacks are sourcing their IP's from
places in the middle east and many times, send an extortion letter to
the company demanding money in exchange for a promise to stop taking
down their website and denying service to paying customers....it's a
huge problem on the internet today.
There isn't much publicity regarding these types of attacks because
companies are trying to keep it as low key as possible to prevent from
loosing customers.
The horror of it is, it has been reported that 90% of companies
receiving extortion letters actually pay these people!

Back to my original question....any assistance to help me create this
type of free open source packet generator would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

jackster

jackster the jackle

Thanks alot Sandor....Scruby looks like exactly what I was thinking
of...I'm going to give it a shot.

jackster