Server error with Emailing

Elmo Watson

I have a script I ran against a database table of emails - - sendning emails
out to all who signed up - -
However, I got the following error, running the script:
The server rejected one or more recipient addresses. The server response
was: 501 5.5.4 Invalid Address

I'm just confused - I would have figured that it would not have any idea
(being server side) whether the email address was bad or good

Since it was ASP.Net - server-side - - does the built in Email namespace
qualify the email address before it's sent?
Or is there some inner-workings that verify the email addresses and send
back data if it's a bad email address?

I searched MSDN - but it only shows up as a BizTalk error.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Kevin Spencer

The email was bounced back to the SMTP Server by the SMTP Server at the
other end.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

Elmo Watson

but I've run this before (using my own email address) and I got bounced
notices in my mail box - it didn't 'crash' the Asp.Net page I was running...

Elmo Watson

So - does the script check ALL email addresses before it sends, or does it
try to send, sending some, and then stopping when it finds some that bounce?

Joined
Oct 17, 2007
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I too have bumped into this error today. The problem is it happys only with some Email IDs. I have done some investigation but did not see any pattern.

Regards,
UrStop