server.execute and virtual paths

Guest

I'm trying to execute an aspx page by calling Server.Execute.

The aspx page I'm trying to execute is in a different web app from the aspx page containing the Server.Execute statement. A slightly clearer explanation...

Page1 exists in WebApp1. In the code-behind of Page2 in WebApp2, I have put Server.Execute("Path to Page1 in WebApp1").

When I call Server.Execute(String) using "http://localhost/WebApp1/Page1.aspx", everything works ok and Page1 pops up in a new window.

But when I try to use the same path with the overloaded version, Server.Execute(String, TextWriter), I get an error saying I must pass in a virtual path. So I pass in "../WebApp1/Page1.aspx" as the path. But now I get this error:

The virtual path '/WebApp1/Page1.aspx.cs' maps to another application, which is not allowed.

But I can execute the same page using Server.Execute(String) and "http://..."!!

So, is my virtual path wrong? Or is it something else?
(I need to use the overloaded version Server.Execute(String, TextWriter) so that I can capture the output from Page1 and NOT have it popup in a new window.)

Guest

Hmmm, sorry peoples...

Forget my first post...it seems my dlls weren't recompiling correctly and Server.Execute(String) plus "http://..." seemed to work cos it was using some old code but in fact that doesn't work.

So, it seems I can't use Server.Execute to execute pages in another web app.
Is there another way to accomplish this?

Cheers, Dune

Dale

You're going to be stuck with Response.Redirect, I think.

Dale Preston
MCAD, MCSE, MCDBA

Dune said:
Hmmm, sorry peoples...

Forget my first post...it seems my dlls weren't recompiling correctly and
Server.Execute(String) plus "http://..." seemed to work cos it was using
some old code but in fact that doesn't work.
So, it seems I can't use Server.Execute to execute pages in another web app.
Is there another way to accomplish this?

Cheers, Dune
aspx page containing the Server.Execute statement. A slightly clearer
explanation..."http://localhost/WebApp1/Page1.aspx", everything works ok and Page1 pops up
in a new window.Server.Execute(String, TextWriter), I get an error saying I must pass in a
virtual path. So I pass in "../WebApp1/Page1.aspx" as the path. But now I
get this error:so that I can capture the output from Page1 and NOT have it popup in a new
window.)