    ..HTM file.
    It must be a server configuration problem, but I don't even know where to
    start. Can anyone help?

    Guest, Aug 9, 2005

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    Try with a simple run of the "aspnet_regiis.exe -i" and "-c" params. See
    if that helps as a start.
    The exe is in the Micosoft.Net folder.... buried down a few layers.

    Curt_C [MVP], Aug 9, 2005

    Clamps Guest

    Check the folder that houses your site. It should be configured as an
    application directory. The behavior you're describing is what I get when
    I've forgotten to configure my folders.

    Clamps, Aug 9, 2005

    Kiyomi Guest

    I have exactly the same problem with the server of my Web hosting provider.
    I have two different applications : one in the root and one in a
    sub-directory. With my local machine, both applications work very well as
    my folders are configured as virtual directories. When I upload my
    applications to the server of the Web hosting provider, the one in the root
    works very well, but the one in the sub-directory does not, and I got
    exactly the same error message. I have asked the provider to configure my
    folder as virtual directory but they say it is not possible. I therefore
    have to manage with my web.config file, but I do not know how to do so.
    Does anyone can give me advice how to configure it ?

    Thank you very much,

    Kiyomi

    Kiyomi, Aug 10, 2005

    Guest Guest

    I would be intersted to hear if you find a solution, but if it is the same
    problem as mine then I do not think that it can be solved in the web.config
    file - as I described in my original post I do not think my application is
    even getting as far as reading the web.config file.
    If you are paying your service provider extra for ASP.NET facilities then
    you're being ripped off!

    Guest, Aug 10, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Thanks Clamps, that does indeed seem to be the problem - I can actually get
    it to work if I put everything in htdocs, which is the web root. This would
    seem to indicate that htdocs is configured as an application directory, but
    the subdirectory I created for my project isn't. However, I don't really
    weant to have to put everything into htdocs.
    Unfortunately I have no experience of configuring IIS for ASP.NET, and
    neither has the guy who runs the server. Can you possibly give us a brief
    rundown on how to do this configuration, or point us at a good "idiot's
    guide".
    Thanks

    Guest, Aug 18, 2005

    Guest Guest

    I don't know if you're still watching this thread, but I did finally solve
    the problem by configuring the server folder as an "application folder" in
    IIS. It is very simple to do, but it does have to be done on the server. From
    Control Panel run AdmistrativeTools, then go to Internet Information
    Services, navigate to the folder, right click for properties and in the
    Directory tab, where it says Application Name, give it a name (I'm not sure
    what purpose the name serves or whether you actually need to give it one) and
    press the create button. That's all there is to it.
    I am surprised that your ISP says they cannot do this - either they provide
    ASP.NET services or they don't, and if they do then they must be able to do
    this for you, otherwsie they are not providing the service (are you paying
    extra for ASP.NET?)

    Guest, Sep 13, 2005