Server problem - ASP.NET deployment

Guest

This is such a "dead in the water" problem I don't even know if this is the
right forum for it.
I have developed an ASP.NET/C# project on my own PC and it's working. I then
transferred it to the remote serverwhere it will finally reside. I'm not a
server expert, but the administrator says that ASP.NET is enabled. However,
when I access any of the pages I just get a generic "Server Error in '/'
Application. Runtime Error" page that tells me how to change the customErrors
mode to "Off" in web.config. I have in fact done this, which rather indicates
that it is not even getting as far as reading web.config. I have even put up
a basic two-line .aspx file with no active content (it should display the
user account using <%= Environment.UserName %>) but even that doesn't work -
same error page. The only thing I can actually do is browse a plain vanilla
..HTM file.
It must be a server configuration problem, but I don't even know where to
start. Can anyone help?

Curt_C [MVP]

Dave said:
[...]

Try with a simple run of the "aspnet_regiis.exe -i" and "-c" params. See
if that helps as a start.
The exe is in the Micosoft.Net folder.... buried down a few layers.

Clamps

Check the folder that houses your site. It should be configured as an
application directory. The behavior you're describing is what I get when
I've forgotten to configure my folders.

Kiyomi

I have exactly the same problem with the server of my Web hosting provider.
I have two different applications : one in the root and one in a
sub-directory. With my local machine, both applications work very well as
my folders are configured as virtual directories. When I upload my
applications to the server of the Web hosting provider, the one in the root
works very well, but the one in the sub-directory does not, and I got
exactly the same error message. I have asked the provider to configure my
folder as virtual directory but they say it is not possible. I therefore
have to manage with my web.config file, but I do not know how to do so.
Does anyone can give me advice how to configure it ?

Thank you very much,

Kiyomi

Guest

I would be intersted to hear if you find a solution, but if it is the same
problem as mine then I do not think that it can be solved in the web.config
file - as I described in my original post I do not think my application is
even getting as far as reading the web.config file.
If you are paying your service provider extra for ASP.NET facilities then
you're being ripped off!

Guest

Thanks Clamps, that does indeed seem to be the problem - I can actually get
it to work if I put everything in htdocs, which is the web root. This would
seem to indicate that htdocs is configured as an application directory, but
the subdirectory I created for my project isn't. However, I don't really
weant to have to put everything into htdocs.
Unfortunately I have no experience of configuring IIS for ASP.NET, and
neither has the guy who runs the server. Can you possibly give us a brief
rundown on how to do this configuration, or point us at a good "idiot's
guide".
Thanks

Guest

I don't know if you're still watching this thread, but I did finally solve
the problem by configuring the server folder as an "application folder" in
IIS. It is very simple to do, but it does have to be done on the server. From
Control Panel run AdmistrativeTools, then go to Internet Information
Services, navigate to the folder, right click for properties and in the
Directory tab, where it says Application Name, give it a name (I'm not sure
what purpose the name serves or whether you actually need to give it one) and
press the create button. That's all there is to it.
I am surprised that your ISP says they cannot do this - either they provide
ASP.NET services or they don't, and if they do then they must be able to do
this for you, otherwsie they are not providing the service (are you paying
extra for ASP.NET?)