ServicePointManger - https/proxy problem

David Dickinson

Hi,

Does the .NET HttpWebRequest class definitely support SSL connections via a
proxy server?

To explain - when trying to issue a POST (using HttpWebRequest) we are
getting an error back saying "The ServicePointManager does not support
proxies of https"

We have some code that is using HttpsWebRequest to issue a POST to another
webserver. This all works fine when we have a direct connection using normal
HTTP.

But: we are required to use SSL, and to have a proxy server between the
machine issuing the POST and the machine receiving it.

We have configured the web.config file with a <defaultProxy> element to
point at the proxy server, but then we get the error message shown above.

A network trace shows we don't even get any connection request to the proxy
server - it doesn't look like any bytes are leaving the requesting machine at
all.

Thanks for any help.

David.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi David,

Thanks for your posting. Regarding on this issue , we are currently finding
the proper resource to assist you and we'll update you as soon as possible.

Thanks & Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

[MSFT]

Hello David,

Can you access web pages (HTML or ASPX) on the server with https and the
proxy? If also not, you may contact the administrator of the proxy to make
sure if the proxy support SSL(https), for example, if the port 443 is
opened for your application.

Luke

David Dickinson

Hi,

Thanks for your reply - but we solved the problem by configuring the proxy
settings in code, rather than relying on the config file to set things. Seems
to work fine now.

David.