Servlets - Invoke Remote Servlet

spacerobots

Hi,

I'm writing two servlets, and I would like one to call the other.
Each one will reside on seperate machines.

Let's call them servlet1 and servlet2. servlet1 needs to pass a file
to servlet2. So I'd like to call up servlet2's doPost method and pass
in the file that way. Then when servlet2 is finished doing its work,
it needs to pass back a different file that it has created. So I'm
thinking I would just dump the return file into the response and that
would come back to servlet1. Is that the most sensible way to do it?
If not, please enlighten me! If so, can anybody point me in the right
direction with code examples? How can I put in a URL in my java code
and call that URL?

Thanks in advance,
-Ryan

Robert Mark Bram

Hi Ryan,
I'm writing two servlets, and I would like one to call the other.
Each one will reside on seperate machines.

Let's call them servlet1 and servlet2. servlet1 needs to pass a file
to servlet2. So I'd like to call up servlet2's doPost method and pass
in the file that way. Then when servlet2 is finished doing its work,
it needs to pass back a different file that it has created. So I'm
thinking I would just dump the return file into the response and that
would come back to servlet1. Is that the most sensible way to do it?
If not, please enlighten me! If so, can anybody point me in the right
direction with code examples? How can I put in a URL in my java code
and call that URL?

Perhaps you want a forward, something like this:
http://www.stardeveloper.com/articles/display.html?article=2001062401&page=1

Do they need to be servlets? I.e. do you need to start the process off
from a browser? If not, you could use RMI instead and have remote
objects calling each other.

Rob
:)