Session data appears to be lost at random

Tamir Khason

Following the problem: Session data for ASP.NET Web applications appears to
be lost at random intervals for the InProc session state mode. We can not
freely debug an application or install any 3rd party software on server due
its procution nature.

The causes of this ARE NOT as following:
1) Various attributes (for example, the memoryLimit attribute) have
particular settings in the <processModel> section of the configuration
file.
2) The Global.asax or the Web.config file was modified.
3) The Bin directory of the Web application was modified.
4) Virus scanning software touched some .config files.

Any other option of cause for this problem? And how to solve it in other
cases...

TNX

John Saunders

Tamir Khason said:
Following the problem: Session data for ASP.NET Web applications appears to
be lost at random intervals for the InProc session state mode. We can not
freely debug an application or install any 3rd party software on server due
its procution nature.

The causes of this ARE NOT as following:
1) Various attributes (for example, the memoryLimit attribute) have
particular settings in the <processModel> section of the configuration
file.
2) The Global.asax or the Web.config file was modified.
3) The Bin directory of the Web application was modified.
4) Virus scanning software touched some .config files.

Any other option of cause for this problem? And how to solve it in other
cases...

Is there anything interesting in either the IIS or the system event logs?

Tamir Khason

Nop, nothing:
Event viewer has no information about such activity
IISState as well

Marina

Do you have the windows indexing service running or anything like that?

Are you experiencing this problem on development or any other machines?

Marina

You did not say if any other machines have this problem, but if this machine
is the only one, I would try to see what is different about its
configuration, etc that may be responsible. If you have a support agreement
with Microsoft, this may be a good time to use it and open up a case with
them.

Tamir Khason

No there are not any indexing service running on this machine.
This is production extremely loaded enviroment.

Tamir Khason

There are some machine with the same problem. Not all. I can not see any
unusual there. The case is open in MS, however you know what is it (after
1/2 year it will be fixed on one machine only by some dll :) )
I need a solution today...

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Tamir,

From my research, there are also many former issues which suffering the
same problem with you. However, most of them are caused by the Anti Virus
tools or the file modification in the particular folders for the asp.net as
you mentioned in the first reply. Also, many of them have something
informative in the EventLog or IIS log which provide some clues. So as for
your situation, you haven't used any anit-virus tool and there aren't any
informative logs in the eventlogs, yes? If so, I'm afraid it would require
intensive troubleshooting which would be done quickly and effectively with
direct assistance from a Microsoft Support Professional through Microsoft
Product Support Services. And they'll do some dump analyse which may find
the root cause of the problem. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Tamir Khason

Thank you for reply. Other words you do not know any other possible causes
for this problem?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Tamir,

Yes, the most common causes of such issue are all listed in the former
messages and here are also some former issues in the newsgroup discussing
on this problem:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=d#Z2SpZVDHA.199
6%40cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl&rnum=6&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%
26q%3Dasp.net%2Bapplication%2Brestart

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=#gL2UQvQEHA.196
0%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl&rnum=7&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%
26q%3Dasp.net%2Bapplication%2Brestart

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=c08dto$53u$1%
40forums.macromedia.com&rnum=8&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%2
6q%3Dasp.net%2Bapplication%2Brestart

some of them are caused by the particluar files or folders being changed by
the application's code. Have you checked your applicaiton's logic to see
whehter there is any operations which may cause the issue?