Session Variables work from Page1 to Page2 / lost from Page2 to Page3

P. Prosper

Hello all

I have a small webform application with three WebForms that use session
variables to maintain session data (user name)

When I transfer to page 2 from page1 session state is transferred OK, but is
lost when I use a command button to transfer from page2 to page3.

It seem to have something to do with a timeout of some sort because if I
transfer from page2 loadEvent directly to page3,
the session variable is maintained.

I have disabled my anti virus software completely.

I have checked in my cookies folder and the cookie is just not being created
(IE is set to prompt before accepting cookies)

I am using VS.NET 2003 and ASP.NET 1.1

Any suggestions / tip would be greatly appreciated

my web config is as follows

<sessionState

mode="InProc"

stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424"

sqlConnectionString="data source=127.0.0.1;Trusted_Connection=yes"

cookieless="false"

timeout="20"

/>

Guest

I've just solved a very similar problem to this one - have you checked what
URL you are using to access the front page of the site? Is it possible that
when you get as far as page 3, the application starts using a different URL.

My problem was that the user was using an IP address stored in his
Favourties list to connect to page 1 (eg http://123.4.5.6/login). He logged
in, and was redirected to page 2 via a relative URL (http://123.4.5.6/home).
The user clicks on a hyperlink to go to page 3, and they are redirected to an
absolute URL that uses a domain alias (eg http://www.myapp.com/search) - but
IE thinks its being redirected to an entirely different website, so it drops
the Session ID it should have sent to the server to identify itself. The user
then gets sent back to page 1, this time with the domain alias
(http://www.myapp.com/login) - and so this time, the login works as expected.

See if that works for you.

Paul