Share session between secure and non-secure applications

Joe

I have an application which runs in a non-secure environment. I also have an
application that runs in a secure environment (both on the same machine). Is
there any way to share the session data for this?

Most of the site allows the user to add things to a cart (non-secure), once
they choose to check-out, I need this information which was stored in the
session to be read by the payment page(secured).

Hope this makes sense. It's probably not the best way to handle it. Any
suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks,
Joe

Marina

I don't think you would want to store things like that in session. If the
user timesout because they left for lunch, then come back and click
something they will have an empty cart because they will have a new session.

Additionally, there is no way I know of to share data between two different
applications.

Is there a reason this wouldn't all just be one application?

Regardless, I recommend you store cart contents in a cookie or something so
you are not dependent on session state.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Marina's inputs.

Hi Joe,

For sessionState, different ASP.NET application can not share the same
sesstion storage (no matter what session mode it uses....). I'm also
wondering whether it possible that you combine the wo application into one
single asp.net web application, that'll make share ASP.NET states quite
simple. In addition, if we do need to make those two application part
separated and share some datas, I think some other persistence storage such
as database storage.....

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "Marina" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Share session between secure and non-secure applications
| Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 14:10:30 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I don't think you would want to store things like that in session. If the
| user timesout because they left for lunch, then come back and click
| something they will have an empty cart because they will have a new
session.

| Additionally, there is no way I know of to share data between two
different
| applications.
|
| Is there a reason this wouldn't all just be one application?
|
| Regardless, I recommend you store cart contents in a cookie or something
so
| you are not dependent on session state.
|
| | >I have an application which runs in a non-secure environment. I also
have
| >an application that runs in a secure environment (both on the same
| >machine). Is there any way to share the session data for this?
| >
| > Most of the site allows the user to add things to a cart (non-secure),
| > once they choose to check-out, I need this information which was stored
in
| > the session to be read by the payment page(secured).
| >
| > Hope this makes sense. It's probably not the best way to handle it. Any
| > suggestions are more than welcome.
| >
| > Thanks,
| > Joe

Joe

Hi Steve,

I would like to use a single application but I don't see how I can do that
since there are two different locations (same machine though) for the secure
and non-secure pages.

I was trying to use cookies like Marina suggested but these can't be shared
either.

If I go the database route, how do I know when to delete the records?

-Joe

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Joe,

For SSL securing, based on my understanding , IIS server support
configuring the SSL protection setting(requiring secure channel) based on
virtual dir level( not application level). So you can put those two
applications into one asp.net application and in different sub folder.
Then, we can configure different ssl protection for them....

Also, for data deleting when using sqlserver as backend data storage, we
may need to manually create a background service(using a background thread
to monitior and deleting expired data or using Sqlserver Agent's Job....)

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Joe" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Share session between secure and non-secure applications
| Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 02:51:32 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi Steve,
|
| I would like to use a single application but I don't see how I can do
that
| since there are two different locations (same machine though) for the
secure
| and non-secure pages.
|
| I was trying to use cookies like Marina suggested but these can't be
shared
| either.
|
| If I go the database route, how do I know when to delete the records?
|
| -Joe
|
| | > Thanks for Marina's inputs.
| >
| > Hi Joe,
| >
| > For sessionState, different ASP.NET application can not share the same
| > sesstion storage (no matter what session mode it uses....). I'm also
| > wondering whether it possible that you combine the wo application into
one
| > single asp.net web application, that'll make share ASP.NET states quite
| > simple. In addition, if we do need to make those two application part
| > separated and share some datas, I think some other persistence storage
| > such
| > as database storage.....
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Marina" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Share session between secure and non-secure applications
| > | Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 14:10:30 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | I don't think you would want to store things like that in session. If
| > the
| > | user timesout because they left for lunch, then come back and click
| > | something they will have an empty cart because they will have a new
| > session.
| > |
| > | Additionally, there is no way I know of to share data between two
| > different
| > | applications.
| > |
| > | Is there a reason this wouldn't all just be one application?
| > |
| > | Regardless, I recommend you store cart contents in a cookie or
something
| > so
| > | you are not dependent on session state.
| > |
| > have

| > stored
| > in

| > Any

| > |
| > |
| > |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hey Joe,

Any further progress? If anything else we can help, please feel free to
post here.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 07:52:52 GMT
| Subject: Re: Share session between secure and non-secure applications
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi Joe,
|
| For SSL securing, based on my understanding , IIS server support
| configuring the SSL protection setting(requiring secure channel) based on
| virtual dir level( not application level). So you can put those two
| applications into one asp.net application and in different sub folder.
| Then, we can configure different ssl protection for them....
|
| Also, for data deleting when using sqlserver as backend data storage, we
| may need to manually create a background service(using a background
thread
| to monitior and deleting expired data or using Sqlserver Agent's Job....)
|
| Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: "Joe" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: Share session between secure and non-secure applications
| | Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 02:51:32 -0500
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| |
| | Hi Steve,
| |
| | I would like to use a single application but I don't see how I can do
| that
| | since there are two different locations (same machine though) for the
| secure
| | and non-secure pages.
| |
| | I was trying to use cookies like Marina suggested but these can't be
| shared
| | either.
| |
| | If I go the database route, how do I know when to delete the records?
| |
| | -Joe
| |

| | > Hi Joe,
| | >
| | > For sessionState, different ASP.NET application can not share the same
| | > sesstion storage (no matter what session mode it uses....). I'm also
| | > wondering whether it possible that you combine the wo application
into
| one
| | > single asp.net web application, that'll make share ASP.NET states
quite
| | > simple. In addition, if we do need to make those two application part
| | > separated and share some datas, I think some other persistence
storage
| | > such
| | > as database storage.....
| | >
| | > Thanks,
| | >
| | > Steven Cheng
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | >
| | > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| | > (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| | > rights.)
| | > --------------------
If
| | > the