Sharing codebehind dlls amongst multiple apps

Mark Edwards

I've got an asp.net app that gets installed 150 times on
a server. With every installation, there is
another /bin/ directory with another copy of the dll in
it. (meaning 150 copies of the dll)

I want to deploy just one codebehind dll for the whole
server and tell all the app copies to use it.

Can this be done?

I've been doing some research on this and learned the
difference between a private and shared assembly.

I've gotten as far as strong-naming the dll and putting
it into the gac. I've been tweaking the @Page and
@Assembly directives without any success so far. I also
looked at setting the probing path, but the docs say you
can't set the probing path to anything outside the
application base path.

Thanks,
-Mark

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Mark,

It should work just fine. You shouldn't have to tweak anything. Once the DLL
is in the GAC, the app should find it.

Just make sure that you're not getting mixed up with multiple strong named
versions of the DLL.

Maybe you can explain further what you're doing with @Page and @Assembly?

Ken