Shift operator

Andreas

Hi (again)!

Anyone knows how the vhdl shift operator (shr or shl) is implemented?
Ex: out_var := shr(inp_value,inp_shr);

Is it synthesized to a barrel shifter? I guess this requires a lot of
logic, anyone have a rough idea how much area/gates a 32-bit barrel
shifter needs? From the standard "triangle" layout, it looks like the
area grows with a factor 4, so that a 64-bit barrel shifter consumes 4
times as much hardware as a 32 bit. Anyone knows if this is correct?

Lots of questions... : )

Best regards,
Andreas Lundgren