Should We Be Reading Up on HTML 5 Now?

Patient Guy

I just read the following:

As I type this, Firefox 3.5 is blazing past 5.6 million downloads,
having been released just a day and a half ago. While such uptake
for Mozilla's upgraded browser is impressive, the bigger story is
how Firefox 3.5 is upgrading the Web with its extensive support for
HTML 5. Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) 8 has brought the
company's browser back into the 21st century, but its sluggish (and
perhaps perverse) response to emerging Web standards threatens to
leave it in Web 1.0 Blunderland.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10277364-16.html

So while W3C states at the start of the HTML 5 spec:

Implementors should be aware that this specification is not stable.
Implementors who are not taking part in the discussions are likely
to find the specification changing out from under them in
incompatible ways. Vendors interested in implementing this
specification before it eventually reaches the Candidate
Recommendation stage should join the aforementioned mailing lists
and take part in the discussions.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/

Apparently the Mozilla Firefox group has things settled in their minds.

Pray tell what web developers should be doing.

Neredbojias

[...]

Stick with current standards and let the future take care of itself.
That is always the answer to that question. Firefox uniquenesses
aren't any more exonerable than ie uniquenesses so until an element is
actually sanctioned by the w3c it is quite invalid and shouldn't be
employed in any respectable general-audience page.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Patient Guy
[...]

I'm playing with it on my development server. Opera supports some of
HTML5, and the W3C validator can now do validation for it (of course
with big notices that it's experimental).

HTML5 forms and Opera: [http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/improve-your-
forms-using-html5/]

The Canvas element is also fun:
http://code.google.com/p/paintweb/

Adrienne Boswell

Have fun.

I am having fun. I said I was playing, and I meant playing.
Browsers have claimed funny HTML x.x support through the years.

You misspelled "heuristic linting".
Ok.

You misspelled "bogus".

I don't think I would call something bogus that's still in embryo stage.

As I said, I'm just having fun - nothing is going live, no harm done.

Andy Dingley

Pray tell what web developers should be doing.

HTML 4.01 Strict, and get it right. Minimal semantic HTML, decent
fluid layout done with CSS.

Ignore HTML 5. It will be years before you have a hope of serving it
to clients with enough take-up by them to be at all useful, then if
you look closely at it you'll find it's a bag of crazy half-ideas that
just can't work within the constraints they've already accepted for
themselves.

I care a lot more about RDFa than I do about HTML5