showModelessDialog/showModalDialog in asp.net with VB 2005

bill

I have a asp.net web forms page displaying customer information and a list
of orders for the customer in a data grid.

The user wants to click a button which will display a modal (or modeless)
window for adding a new order.

When the order is entered in the modal window, the new order will be added
to the database, the modal window will close, and the grid in the base
window will be updated to display the new order.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to the best way to accomplish this.

Thanks!
Bill

KMA

I'm no expert, but I believe a big question hinges on whether your users can
be forced to use IE or not. If they can then IE support modal dialogs.
Firefox doesn't implement this fully. (Or maybe the latest version, but
hopefully you get the point that either you make a browser tailored app or
not) If you want to make a more browser agnostic app, then you might want to
implement the calling pages' postback by storing the state of the page in
some persistant object, transferring to the "New order" page whilst storing
where you came from so that you can go back to the original page with
updated data.

Sounds like a PITA? Well, compared to desktop dev it is. But that's the
nature of the beast.

slagomite

You can make the button (or link, etc.) which opens the modal dialog a
control that causes a post back. Then in the *client* onclick event of
the button, call your showModalDialog script; only after the resulting
modal dialog is closed will the postback occur (during which you can
reload the datagrid, updating it to show the new order in the
database).

HTH
Luke