[Slightly OT] OMG I cant remember! (html)

Rob Meade

Lo all,

This is rather embarrassing....

I am having some difficulties with an html table...

I have...

1 left nav bar which spans 2 rows to the right - these are used for
horizontal navigation (top), and main content (bottom).

I have used this many times before and everythings been ok because the
content has always exceed the length of the nav bar thus gragging the left

Now this time I'm in the other situation - where the content for the left
nav is longer than the content in the main body....so I have initially both
rows on the right center between the top and bottom of the left nav - not a
biggy, just add an valign="top" - ok - but how am I going to stretch out the
main content row so that it always is as long as the nav bar on the left?

---- ------------
| | | nav |
| | ------------
| | ------------
| | | |
| | | |
| | | main |
| | | |
| | ------------
| | white gap!
----

That kinda represents the problem (assuming it doesnt all go tits up when
posted!

In addition - I want the left bar to be split into 3 rows - one at the top -
where the vertical nav will live, 1 at the bottom where an image will live,
and a space in the middle....the middle one must be the only one which will
'stretch' if the rows on the right increase in size....the image must stay
at the bottom on the left, and the nav at the top.....

------------------------------
| navigation |
| |
| |
|-----------------------------|
| |
| variable |
| |
| |
|-----------------------------|
| |
| |
| image |
------------------------------

Hopefully that'll represent that one....

If anyone can offer some suggestions (or better still a small html example)
I would be very grateful....feeling a bit ashamed to even ask this!

Regards

Rob

Roland Hall

in message
:
: I have used this many times before and everythings been ok because the
: content has always exceed the length of the nav bar thus gragging the left
: <td> down with it - bingo - all looks neat!
:
: Now this time I'm in the other situation - where the content for the left
: nav is longer than the content in the main body....so I have initially
both
: rows on the right center between the top and bottom of the left nav - not
: biggy, just add an valign="top" - ok - but how am I going to stretch out
the
: main content row so that it always is as long as the nav bar on the left?
:
: ---- ------------
: | | | nav |
: | | ------------
: | | ------------
: | | | |
: | | | |
: | | | main |
: | | | |
: | | ------------
: | | white gap!
: ----
:
:
: That kinda represents the problem (assuming it doesnt all go tits up when
: posted!
:
: In addition - I want the left bar to be split into 3 rows - one at the
top -
: where the vertical nav will live, 1 at the bottom where an image will
live,
: and a space in the middle....the middle one must be the only one which
will
: 'stretch' if the rows on the right increase in size....the image must stay
: at the bottom on the left, and the nav at the top.....
:
: ------------------------------
: | navigation |
: | |
: | |
: |-----------------------------|
: | |
: | variable |
: | |
: | |
: |-----------------------------|
: | |
: | |
: | image |
: ------------------------------
:
: Hopefully that'll represent that one....
:
: If anyone can offer some suggestions (or better still a small html
example)
: I would be very grateful....feeling a bit ashamed to even ask this!

I'd love to help but... It's OT for an ASP NG. HTML is client-side.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Rob Meade

I'd love to help but... It's OT for an ASP NG. HTML is client-side.

As I suspected....(hence marking it so) - it is being used in a dynamically
ASP driven website if that scores me any points :eek:)

Cheers anyway..

Rob

Roland Hall

in message : "Roland Hall" wrote ...
:
: > I'd love to help but... It's OT for an ASP NG. HTML is client-side.
:
: As I suspected....(hence marking it so) - it is being used in a
dynamically
: ASP driven website if that scores me any points :eek:)

Since it's only wrapped in ASP, probably not but if you post it to
microsoft.public.inetsdk.html_authoring, I would try to help. I am a little
unclear on the issue exactly and the diagram doesn't mix with what I read so
I'm not sure if it's due to the NG format adjusting that or not. It appears
you're trying to keep your table from modifying it's format so it doesn't
create multiple lines where you want single lines. Perhaps a link to a real
drawing would help and possible some relevant code.

BTW...I've set the followup to m.p.inetsdk.html_authoring.