Slow Images with Visual Studio Development Server

headware

I am having a weird problem with the Visual Studio 2008 development
server. All the images in the website are downloading very slowly
every time the page is loaded. Even small images take about 1 second
to download and it makes the application unusable.

It only happens with IE7 when I'm using the Visual Studio integrated
web server. If it hit the integrated web server using FireFox it works
fine. Alternatively, if I deploy the site to IIS it works fine even
with IE.

Here is my system configuration:
Windows XP Pro SP2
Visual Studio 2008
IIS 5.1
..NET Framework 3.5
IE 7
FireFox 3

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Dave

Damien

I am having a weird problem with the Visual Studio 2008 development
server. All the images in the website are downloading very slowly
every time the page is loaded. Even small images take about 1 second
to download and it makes the application unusable.

It only happens with IE7 when I'm using the Visual Studio integrated
web server. If it hit the integrated web server using FireFox it works
fine. Alternatively, if I deploy the site to IIS it works fine even
with IE.

Here is my system configuration:
Windows XP Pro SP2
Visual Studio 2008
IIS 5.1
.NET Framework 3.5
IE 7
FireFox 3

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Dave

Well, one obvious difference is that with the dev server, all requests
go through the asp.net pipeline, not just aspx requests. Have you got
any odd Modules loaded?

Also, I'd suspect maybe some caching differences between IE/FF. Is it
slow from Firefox if you clear the cache first?

Damien

headware

Well, one obvious difference is that with the dev server, all requests
go through the asp.net pipeline, not just aspx requests. Have you got
any odd Modules loaded?

Also, I'd suspect maybe some caching differences between IE/FF. Is it
slow from Firefox if you clear the cache first?

Damien

Damien,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not well versed on the ASP.NET pipeline, but
from what I can tell there aren't any out of the ordinary modules
loaded. The only one i see is System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, which
seems to be pretty standard. Removing it does not seem to affect
performance.

Firefox runs well against the development server even with a cleared
cache. I also tried Chrome and it was totally fine. It's really just
IE against the development server that seems to have the problem.

Dave