small C compiler that will run on Vista

Tor Rustad

CBFalconer said:
Ridiculous advice (only one). Gcc is available in various guises,
such as MING, Cygwin, DJGPP, together with the whole raft of gcc
accessories. Then there is also such things as LCC available,
although I can't speak for its quality. These things are all free.

Microsoft VC++ Express is not a ridiculous advice at all.

* it's free
* OP have used VC++ before
* OP want to run the compiler on Vista

the only drawback I see, is that it's not exactly a small thing to install.

Richard Heathfield

Tor Rustad said:
Microsoft VC++ Express is not a ridiculous advice at all.

He didn't say it was. What he said was that it is ridiculous to suggest
that it's the *only* sensible advice. And he's right.

Al Balmer

As you can see, his own signature (with the URLs) is introduced by a
correctly formatted "-- " delimiter. His provider automatically adds
*another* signature, also introduced by a correctly formatted "-- "
delimiter.

Doh ... I didn't notice that. Free accounts make you pay by
advertising them. That's the reason, I think. Agent (which I use)
trims the last occurrence of a signature block, not the first. No big
deal - it was just puzzling.

Al Balmer

(My own newsreader, at least with the settings
I use, doesn't seem to treat signatures specially at all, and I have
to delete them manually; it's no big deal.)

I think it can - the "what's new" for emacs 20.1 has
#

Signatures can be recognized in more intelligent fashions. See
gnus-signature-separator and gnus-signature-limit.
#

Jeremy Thomson

I'm wondering if C is the right tool for your task?- Hide quoted text -

I'm a Pick programmer by profession & if I had it available on Vista
I'd use Pick Basic.
It has superb string handling, but then it should as the whole
database is based on nested delimited fields.
Under Unix I'd probably be able to do it with Bourne shell, grep &
awk.
I just have a soft spot for c and have always wanted to learn how to
do windows programming.
Went through the Win32.hlp file bookmarking the sections a night ago,
Wow! Its going to take me some time.

To Jay & Chris Hills, I probably download will download Visual Studio
2005 Express, once I get a nice big Fat broadband connection. But I
live in NZ and Telecons idea of broadband is 128Kbs!

Jeremy Thomson

Tor Rustad

CBFalconer said:
Tor Rustad wrote:
[...]
Microsoft VC++ Express is not a ridiculous advice at all.

It was the "only one sensible solution" part to which I objected.

OK, I misunderstood your remark then, I can't stand behind "only one
sensible solution", but a rephrase to "the most sensible solution" will do.

JimS

You should also consider dumping Vista for Ubuntu (or other Linux),
which are free. All the Linux distributions come with gcc, the GNU
compiler. Read the following links for some Vista faults..

ffs.

Jim

JimS

I'm a Pick programmer by profession & if I had it available on Vista
I'd use Pick Basic.
It has superb string handling, but then it should as the whole
database is based on nested delimited fields.
Under Unix I'd probably be able to do it with Bourne shell, grep &
awk.
I just have a soft spot for c and have always wanted to learn how to
do windows programming.
Went through the Win32.hlp file bookmarking the sections a night ago,
Wow! Its going to take me some time.

To Jay & Chris Hills, I probably download will download Visual Studio
2005 Express, once I get a nice big Fat broadband connection. But I
live in NZ and Telecons idea of broadband is 128Kbs!

Jeremy Thomson

You could try OpenWatcom.
http://openwatcom.org/index.php/Main_Page
62Mb download.

JimS

Ed Jensen

Jeremy Thomson said:
I've got Suns Java development environment but I'm a newbie to java &
I dont want
to have a web page & server just to copy files around on my PC.

What does the Sun JDK have to do with web pages and servers?

BWIGLEY

Jeremy Thomson said:
I'm a Pick programmer by profession & if I had it available on Vista
I'd use Pick Basic.
It has superb string handling, but then it should as the whole
database is based on nested delimited fields.
Under Unix I'd probably be able to do it with Bourne shell, grep &
awk.
I just have a soft spot for c and have always wanted to learn how to
do windows programming.
Went through the Win32.hlp file bookmarking the sections a night ago,
Wow! Its going to take me some time.

To Jay & Chris Hills, I probably download will download Visual Studio
2005 Express, once I get a nice big Fat broadband connection. But I
live in NZ and Telecons idea of broadband is 128Kbs!

Huh, we can't even get broadband here. My idea of speed is when the
dialup's going at 1.5 kb/s.

David Wade

Jeremy Thomson said:
I want to do some simple programming at home on my new Vista PC.
Its to automate moving .AAC files to my phone's mercury card.
(Nokia's application only works with USB cable or bluetooth).
So the application has to pick up a .m3u playlist, create any needed
directories
on the memory card and copy across the .AAC files. It also needs to
delete
the files and empty directories from the memory card when I want to
remove a playlist.

The only languages I have on it are .BAT and Open Office Basic.
I've got a very old version of Visual C++ (1.0!) that wont run on XP
let alone Vista.

Well it comes with VB Script and JScript as well.. You can download Visual
Studio Express C++. Its a bit larger than 40 megs, especially if you need to
SDK as well, but its also been on a couple of cover disks in the UK.
I've got Suns Java development environment but I'm a newbie to java &
I dont want
to have a web page & server just to copy files around on my PC.

Is there a small Free C compiler I can download somewhere?
Something that will handle ANSI C so I can generate an .exe will do
fine.
I like the Idea of CygWin but thats too big a download for me.
So anything under 40Mb would be good.

Well mingw www.mingw.org was produced for folks like you. Not sure how big
the download is but I think 40megs is about right. I use it all the time.