small C compiler that will run on Vista

Jeremy Thomson

I want to do some simple programming at home on my new Vista PC.
Its to automate moving .AAC files to my phone's mercury card.
(Nokia's application only works with USB cable or bluetooth).
So the application has to pick up a .m3u playlist, create any needed
directories
on the memory card and copy across the .AAC files. It also needs to
delete
the files and empty directories from the memory card when I want to
remove a playlist.

The only languages I have on it are .BAT and Open Office Basic.
I've got a very old version of Visual C++ (1.0!) that wont run on XP
let alone Vista.
I've got Suns Java development environment but I'm a newbie to java &
I dont want
to have a web page & server just to copy files around on my PC.

Is there a small Free C compiler I can download somewhere?
Something that will handle ANSI C so I can generate an .exe will do
fine.
I like the Idea of CygWin but thats too big a download for me.
So anything under 40Mb would be good.

Jeremy Thomson

blufox

[...]

Not sure, but can you please check if DevCpp works on Vista.
It may suit your need.
Thanks

jacob navia

Jeremy said:
[...]

lcc-win32 download is 5.4MB only.

Includes compiler, project management debugger and IDE.
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32. Runs under
vista, but generates 32 Bit code

jacob

Richard Heathfield

Jeremy Thomson said:

Is there a small Free C compiler I can download somewhere?

http://www.cpax.org.uk/prg/portable/c/resources.php contains a long list
of free C compilers.

That list used to be a little longer, but alas, one of the compilers is
maintained by someone who seemed to me to be more determined to plug
his product here in comp.lang.c than he was to fix its bugs (or indeed
to learn C), so I removed that particular compiler from the list.

I wouldn't dream of mentioning his name, of course, but you can probably
spot him easily enough yourself.

Ian Collins

Richard said:
Jeremy Thomson said:

http://www.cpax.org.uk/prg/portable/c/resources.php contains a long list
of free C compilers.

That list used to be a little longer, but alas, one of the compilers is
maintained by someone who seemed to me to be more determined to plug
his product here in comp.lang.c than he was to fix its bugs (or indeed
to learn C), so I removed that particular compiler from the list.

I wouldn't dream of mentioning his name, of course, but you can probably
spot him easily enough yourself.
Meow.

Ian Collins

CBFalconer said:
Try DJGPP 2.04, at <http://www.delorie.com>

You should also consider dumping Vista for Ubuntu (or other Linux),
which are free. All the Linux distributions come with gcc, the GNU
compiler. Read the following links for some Vista faults..
s/Linux/Linux, Solaris or a BSD/

Chris McDonald

Given Vista's extensive resource requirements, which I assume you're providing,
why are you seeking a *small* C compiler?

Richard Tobin

Chris McDonald said:
Given Vista's extensive resource requirements, which I assume you're
providing, why are you seeking a *small* C compiler?

Presumably that's all there's room left for.

-- Richard

Kenny McCormack

You should also consider dumping Vista for Ubuntu (or other Linux),
which are free. All the Linux distributions come with gcc, the GNU
compiler. Read the following links for some Vista faults..
s/Linux/Linux, Solaris or a BSD/[/QUOTE]

Or, let's keep it simple, and just say:

s/Linux/XP or any earlier version of Windows, before the forces of evil *reall* took over/

Jeremy Thomson

Presumably that's all there's room left for.

-- Richard

ROTFL.
No I still have 200GB left.
I dont have an internet connection at home, could use someone elses
dialup but prefer to steal bandwidth from my employer. As long as its
not too much bandwith.

Jeremy Thomson

Jeremy Thomson

Not sure, but can you please check if DevCpp works on Vista.
It may suit your need.
Thanks

Yes DevCpp works. At least it compiles the example programs.

Jeremy Thomson

Jeremy Thomson

lcc-win32 download is 5.4MB only.

Includes compiler, project management debugger and IDE.http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32. Runs under
vista, but generates 32 Bit code

jacob

Thanks I've downloaded it & compiled some of the examples so seems to
be working.
Had a hassle with the OpenGL demo. Needed an executable called cc1
when wasnt in the bin directory but in (if I remember) lib\lcc.
I copied the three .exes into bin and then OpenGL demo compiled.
Must find out how to set the PATH in Vista, everythings moved.
The other hassle was getting some docs on the Win32Api.
Theres a cuple of links on the lcc site. One to a application that
doesnt run on Vista because of a missing DLL (Bvrun something). The
other is a Win32.hlp file that doesnt load because Vista has a
WinHlp32.exe that just says old help files arent supported. I cant
override WinHlp32.exe from my XP because I cant set the secuiry access
to anything in \Windows.

Linux just looks better and better.

Jeremy Thomson

jaysome

Given Vista's extensive resource requirements, which I assume you're providing,
why are you seeking a *small* C compiler?

My installation of Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2005 consumes
2.38 GB of disk space and typically about 23 MB of RAM when running
under Windows Vista. That's doesn't equate to "extensive resource
requirements" in this day and age of dirt-cheap multi-100GB hard
drives and Gigabytes of RAM.

If you have a PC running Windows XP or Windows Vista, you can download
and run Visual Studio 2005 Express edition for free. The IDE (editor,
compiler, linker, debugger, and much more) is worth checking out.

Richard Heathfield

Richard said:

Your pimping of other OSs is off topic and not discussed here. You
should know that. You spend enough time telling other people
what *is* on topic in this NG that I would have thought you would know
that. Out of 6 posts of yours only one actually even tried to help -
and you weren't even very good in that case.

In comp.lang.c, if you're bright, you can - to a certain extent - get
away with being unpleasant. And if you're charming, you can - to a
certain extent - get away with being clueless.

The ideal, of course, is "bright and charming", but few manage it. Chris
Torek is a fine example, however. Normally, we'll settle for one or the
other, or a reasonable balance ("fairly bright, not too unpleasant").

So far, Richard, you have demonstrated many times that you can be
unpleasant, but as far as I can recall you have yet to demonstrate that
you're bright. Until you establish a reputation for actually knowing C
and being able to help people to understand it better than they did
before encountering you, the denizens of clc aren't going to pay too
much attention to your sniping. You are currently losing rep points,
not gaining them. (And the mixup over the sig block won't have helped
you in that regard.)

jacob navia

Guru" Heathfield said:
Richard said:

This comment from Richard is perfectly correct. BUT...

It is against windows and as everybody here agrees, windows
users are morons by definitions. If they weren't they would be
using linux obviously.

In comp.lang.c, if you're bright, you can - to a certain extent - get
away with being unpleasant. And if you're charming, you can - to a
certain extent - get away with being clueless.

The ideal, of course, is "bright and charming", but few manage it. Chris
Torek is a fine example, however. Normally, we'll settle for one or the
other, or a reasonable balance ("fairly bright, not too unpleasant").

So far, Richard, you have demonstrated many times that you can be
unpleasant, but as far as I can recall you have yet to demonstrate that
you're bright.

Yes. To be bright in this newsgroup you have to ALWAYS be
in agreement with HEATHFIELD AND CO. If not, you are breaking
the rules.
Until you establish a reputation for actually knowing C
and being able to help people to understand it better than they did
before encountering you, the denizens of clc aren't going to pay too
much attention to your sniping.

Note that this individual is convinced that he speaks for the whole
group, even if nobody appointed him to do that. He IS the perfect
guru.
You are currently losing rep points,

And those points are distributed exclusively by heathfield.
NOTE THAT!
not gaining them. (And the mixup over the sig block won't have helped
you in that regard.)

Pathetic.

Richard Heathfield

jacob navia said:
To be bright in this newsgroup you have to ALWAYS be
in agreement with HEATHFIELD AND CO.

Oh, do grow up, there's a good chap. I learn far more from bright people
who *disagree* with me than from those who agree.

Chris Hills

[...]

There is really only one sensible solution for this (and I hate to
admitt it) that is the FREE Microsoft VC++ Express whichj you can
download for free from MS.

It will work well with the MS environment and will probably have
examples to start you on your way.

Several magazines have given these compilers away on the front cover so
you may not even have to download it.

stdazi

Jeremy said:
[...]

I'm wondering if C is the right tool for your task?

Richard

CBFalconer said:
If you study my answer with care, you will note that the OP wanted
to know sources for ANSI C compilers. Each of my two paragraphs
aimed him at a source. The multiple faults of Vista are covered in
my sig, which is immune to "topicality" considerations.

No one cares about your signature except those that want to snip it and
can not because it is incorrectly formatted I think.

gcc is ALSO available for Windows. - so as I said, your pimping of other
OSs is, by your own standards off topic and "we" are not interested.

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.