smtp error: unable to connect to remote server...No connection could be made because the target mach

Homer

Hi,

I got "InnerException: Unable to connect to remote server"..."No
connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
it" when I attempted to send an email through my Intranet app that is
written in asp.net 2.0. The smtp server is a local server and it uses
Port 25. The Authentication is set to Anonymous Access. Here's my
code:

<system.net>
<mailSettings>
<smtp>
<network host="10.162.22.72" />
</smtp>
</mailSettings>
</system.net>

Protected Sub SendEmail_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles SendEmail.Click
Const ToAddress As String = "(e-mail address removed)"
Dim mm As New MailMessage(UsersEmail.Text, ToAddress)
mm.Subject = Subject.Text
mm.Body = Body.Text
mm.IsBodyHtml = False
Dim smtp As New SmtpClient
smtp.Send(mm)
End Sub

In the <network host.. /> section, I did not specify a username and
password because I set the smtp server authentication mode is set to
Anonymous Access. Can someone please tell me what I did wrong? I
couldn't find anything on the Web that could point me in the right
direction.

Thanks,
Jon

Guest

Hello,

First of all let's check if it's a problem of server/client configuration,
or if it's .net code problem.

Try to send an e-mail using the command line:

http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs/braulio_malaga/archive/2007/02/26/876.aspx

Now, check if there are some security restrictions (E.g., authentication,
or some times the "from" must have some well know domain name). Check as well
if you SMTP server accepts calls from client computers (some time is just
configured to work locally, it doesn't accept petitions from other computers
to avoid spam).

A good support material:

.net fx 2.0
http://www.systemnetmail.com/

.net fx 1.1
http://www.systemwebmail.com/

Good luck
Braulio

/// ------------------------------
/// Braulio Diez
///
/// http://www.tipsdotnet.com
/// ------------------------------

Homer

[...]

Hi Braulio

I confirmed that the SMTP server does not have any access restriction.

In the Access tab:
Authentication: Anonymous Access
Connection: All except the list below. There's nothing in the list.
Relay Restriction: Only the list below. In the list below, I granted
access to my development PC using its IP address. I also granted
access to 127.0.0.1 as well as checking the "Allow all computers which
successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the list above.

In the Security tab:
Grant operating permission to these windows user accounts:
Administrator, NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE, NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
SERVICE.

How do I this?
....Check as well
if you SMTP server accepts calls from client computers (some time is just
configured to work locally, it doesn't accept petitions from other computers
to avoid spam).

Thanks,
Jonathan