SocketException from code not caught in try catch or Application_Error

mc

I have a function (shown below) that I call to check if a server is present. when a server is
present, everything is ok. however when it fails. I get an SocketException fired. On my development
machine all seems to work and the exception is fired and caught. however on my production server the
exception fires, it's not caught by the try catch and it's also not caught in my application_error
handler in Global.asax. Can anyone shed any light on this?

private bool CheckServer(string p){
try{
using (Socket s = new Socket(AddressFamily.Internetwork, SocketType.Stream, ProtocolType.Tcp)){
IPEndPoint iep = new IPEndPoint(DNS.GetHostEntry(p).AddressList[0], 80);
s.Connect(iep);
return true;
catch{
return false;

TIA

MC

Aidy

It might be something to do with the fact that you're using "using" inside a
try block. Try it without the "using".

bruce barker

most likely the page request is timing out before the socket connection
timeout. explicity set the values.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

mc

No change! still broke.
Aidy said:
[...]

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi MC,

It is also likely that there is something related to the account running
the application. Is there any proxy that requires to visit the certain
remote server/site? You can try switch the ASP.NET process to a domain
account to see whether it works.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 17:26:43 +0000
From: mc <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
Subject: Re: SocketException from code not caught in try catch or Application_Error

No change! still broke.
Aidy said:
[...]

Have you got progress on this? If still need any help, welcome to post here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------

mc

The AppPool Identity for the site in question is already a domain account is this the setting you meant.

Consider this closed as I've moved onto an alternative solution, not perfect but it works.

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 17:26:43 +0000
From: mc <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
Subject: Re: SocketException from code not caught in try catch or
Application_Error

No change! still broke.

inside a

fails.

work

the

caught

light

IPEndPoint(DNS.GetHostEntry(p).AddressList[0],