Some Berkeley DB questions (being maintained? queries?)

HerbAsher

Hi!

I have some questions. I'm evaluating berkeley db as a embeddable
storage engine for a project I'm working on.

My questions:

1. Now that Berkeley DB is part of Oracle, is it still being
maintained? Is it free?
2. Are there good python libraries for bdb available, that are being
maintained?
3. Is it possible to query a berkeley db database? Just simple
queries like: find me all items where key "name" = "John"
4. What are good, stable alternatives?

thanks,
herb

Brian Smith

1. Now that Berkeley DB is part of Oracle, is it still being
maintained? Is it free?

Berkeley DB is owned by Oracle, but it is seperate from the Oracle RDBMS
product. Yes, it is free.
2. Are there good python libraries for bdb available, that
are being maintained?

I would like to know the answer to this question too--if you have used
the pybsddb/bsddb.db module, please share your experience.
3. Is it possible to query a berkeley db database? Just
simple queries like: find me all items where key "name" = "John"

That is basically the only kind of query that a Berkeley DB database can
do: key [ said:
4. What are good, stable alternatives?

That depends soley on your requirements. Berkeley DB is actually one of
the most complicated persistence solutions. It is more complex than
SQLite, and WAY more complex than gdbm, for example. If you don't need
all its functionality, especially its multi-user capabilities, then I
recommend using something simpler. However, if you DO need its
multi-user cabailities or its advanced features like secondary indexes,
then it is better to use Berkeley DB than to re-invent it.

- Brian

Terry Jones

Brian> I would like to know the answer to this question too--if you have
Brian> used the pybsddb/bsddb.db module, please share your experience.

I used it a little in mid-2006. I ran into one issue that I resolved by
looking at the C source and fiddling with the Python interface. I sent mail
to the people mentioned in the bsddb README file. One (Barry Warsaw)
answered to say he hadn't looked at the code in a couple of years and was
probably not the person to contact.
From memory, the Chandler project also has an interface to BSD DB, but I
don't remember any details at all.

I'm also interested in any ongoing or planned work on the Python interface.

Terry

Aahz

I'm also interested in any ongoing or planned work on the Python interface.

Someone recently volunteered to take over primary maintenance, but I
can't find the mailing list post.