Some complex function prototypes like signal()

lovecreatesbeauty

Hello,

I'm confused by some complex function prototypes. Would you please
explain those to me in detail with C language syntax itself with your
rich knowledge & experiences. Thank you.

1. The prototype of function signal in signal.h:

void (*signal(int sig, void (*func)(int)))(int);

it's some complex to me. Please explain the C language syntax used to
make up this complex prototype.

2. And I saw another function prototype:

void interrupt (*oldhandler)();

-Is it legal?

-If it's a right prototype, what does identifier "interrupt" mean?
Should it be a type qualifier?

Thanks

alexmdac

lovecreatesbeauty said:
I'm confused by some complex function prototypes.

"The C Programming Language" has a good section on this subject. They
provide source for a program that translates these type definitions
into english.
void (*signal(int sig, void (*func)(int)))(int);

You can simplify this:

/* Pointer to a function that takes an int and returns nothing. */
typedef void (*SIGNAL_HANDLER)(int);

/* Simplified signal prototype. */
SIGNAL_HANDLER signal( int signal, SIGNAL_HANDLER handler );
void interrupt (*oldhandler)();
This is a pointer to a function which returns nothing.

Jonathan Bartlett

al.h:
void (*signal(int sig, void (*func)(int)))(int);

it's some complex to me. Please explain the C language syntax used to
make up this complex prototype.

The return type for signal is a function pointer that, when called takes
one int argument.

func is a function pointer that takes one int argument.

For more about function pointers, see http://www.newty.de/fpt/index.html

Jon