some help needed on regex

Junkone

I have a very complex regex requirement and need some hand here. I can
do only very basic regex.
I need to do the following

add <symbol f|s i|p|e h|l number >

1. has to be either of the following strings add , modify
2. followed by any word composed of string or number
3. followed by one of the 2 letters f,s
4. followed by either one or more of the letters i,p,e
5. followed by of letters followed by number. the letters can be
either h or l and the number can be decimal or round number.
for eg. h <decimal or number> and/or l <decimal or number>

appreciate any help here.

Paul Stickney

break it down... these aren't all *exactly* to your specs--it's less
specific, just a start
(I would consider not even using a regular expression here...)

1) (add|modify)
2) \S+ (any non-whitespace, not exact)
3) [fs]
4) [ipe]
5) [hl] [.0-9]+

Combined, something like:
(add|modify)\s+\S+\s+[fs]\s+[ipe]\s+[hl]\s+[.0-9]+

Of course, this ignores < and >.

But, oww, my head...
"Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use
regular expressions." Now they have two problems." -- Jamie Zawinski