Source Insight Equivalent - For Free

karthikbalaguru

Hi,
Is anyone aware of a free software that is
equivalent to 'Source Insight' for Windows ?

I am basically looking for a free tool that
helps in browsing lot of source files (C Language)
that are linked to each other. The tool should
automatically keep its database updated,
displaying variables in different colors
depending on if they are local, global, static,
function arguments, or yet undefined.

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru

Why Tea

Hi,
Is anyone aware of a free software that is
equivalent to 'Source Insight'  for Windows ?

I am basically looking for a free tool that
helps in browsing lot of source files (C Language)
that are linked to each other. The tool should
automatically keep its database updated,
displaying variables in different colors
depending on if they are local, global, static,
function arguments, or yet undefined.

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru

Some of my colleagues use Source Navigator:
http://sourcenav.berlios.de/.

karthikbalaguru

Some of my colleagues use Source Navigator:http://sourcenav.berlios.de/.

Good one. Thx for that info.

Thx to Red Hat as it GPL'd Source-Navigator IDE -

Got some link that talks about the experience on both Source Navigator
and Source Insight -
http://netherlandsdaniel.blogspot.com/2009/04/source-navigator-vs-source-insight.html

Hope to hear more of your experience on both Source Navigator and
Source Insight.

I will also share my experience with Source Navigator as soon as i try
it.

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru

karthikbalaguru

Good one. Thx for that info.

Thx to Red Hat as it GPL'd Source-Navigator IDE -http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6388798990.html

Got some link that talks about the experience on both Source Navigator
and Source Insight -http://netherlandsdaniel.blogspot.com/2009/04/source-navigator-vs-sou...

Hope to hear more of your experience on both Source Navigator and
Source Insight.

I will also share my experience with Source Navigator as soon as i try
it.

I also came across the below -
CDT 6.0 with Eclipse 3.5

Has anyone tried it ? Can you pls share your experience with the above
combination ? and Importantly, kindly confirm if it is completely
free.
I find that there are lot of licenses mentioned, but not sure if it is
completely free to use .

I am interested in using the tool for only Code Analysis/Browsing,
I am interested to use it as a macro definition browser,
code editor with syntax highlighting, folding and hyperlink
navigation, source code refactoring and code generation,
visual debugging , including memory, registers, and
for disassembly view.

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru

Ben Bacarisse

John Corliss said:
Go **** yourself, Indian Bollywood invader.

You should keep such bile to yourself. It the best place for it.

It's not working. If it were we'd have been spared your outburst.
because of Googlespam. No ad, cd, commercial, cripple, demo, dotnet,
nag, share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares OR warez for me,
please.

2008 Pricelessware list: http://www.geocities.com/rtd3ws/08PWlist.html

and your sig is too long (not that I'll be seeing many more of them).

Rich Webb

Oh, nicely done, John. You're a one asshole Welcoming Committee.

Unless John has started posting via a Christmas Island domain instead of
his usual Giganews IP in Oregon (always possible, one supposes) there's
the non-zero possibility that's from an imposter.

Ben Bacarisse

Rich Webb said:
Unless John has started posting via a Christmas Island domain instead of
his usual Giganews IP in Oregon (always possible, one supposes) there's
the non-zero possibility that's from an imposter.

Good point. I should have considered that before replying. In fact I
am not entirely sure why I did reply, since I usually just ignore such
things.

There has been a spate of forgeries and the like in comp.lang.c but
the usual trick for random ones like this is a followup-to:
comp.lang.c header.

David W

Unless John has started posting via a Christmas Island domain instead of
his usual Giganews IP in Oregon (always possible, one supposes) there's
the non-zero possibility that's from an imposter.

If this had been the real John Corliss, we would have expected the same
thing.

karthikbalaguru

karthikbalaguru escreveu:

You can tryhttp://codenavigator.transfz.com/withhttp://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html.

--

The Source Navigator is good. But, it does not dynamically
highlight the definition/declaration when you place your cursor

There is another free tool that i came across. It is codelite.
Thought of trying that to see if it has the necessary features
of automatically keeping its database updated,
displaying variables in different colors depending on if
they are local, global, static, function arguments, or yet
undefined. Showing the definition of the function/variable
in a window or with some kind of popups when we move the
cursor over the particular function/variable name.

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru

karthikbalaguru

[...]

Codelite v1.0.2841 has a good GUI. But, it does not
have a window that will show the references in
a tree format ( A tree graph that will grow from
either top to bottom or from left to right ).
Symbol browsing/viewing option is not good.
It has cscope and subversion plugins & toolbars.
The 'View as' option is cool with lot of file types
in it. It has both compilation / debug support.

Karthik Balaguru

Ron May

Codelite v1.0.2841 has a good GUI. But, it does not
have a window that will show the references in
a tree format ( A tree graph that will grow from
either top to bottom or from left to right ).
Symbol browsing/viewing option is not good.
It has cscope and subversion plugins & toolbars.
The 'View as' option is cool with lot of file types
in it. It has both compilation / debug support.

Karthik Balaguru

Obvious Al Quieda sympathizer, immediate *BLACKLIST* MOST PROBABLY THE
ASSHOLE COWARD TROLL.