Source of memory leak

benyeung99

I use c++ for writing plugins which run on Linux based application. The
application is a third party software and source code is not available.
Plugins are called by the application repeatedly during runtime. At the
beginning, I thought my plugins caused the memory leak. However, I
tested with a dummy plugin which does nothing. No variable is created
in the main program except some DEFINE constants in the header file.
Those constants are essential for the application and cannot be
removed. It turns out that memory leak persists.

I just wonder if the application causes memory leak. I was told by tech
support of the application that resources management should be done by
user himself. Any idea if the problem can be fix?

Thanks
Ben

Wehrdamned

I use c++ for writing plugins which run on Linux based application. The
application is a third party software and source code is not available.
Plugins are called by the application repeatedly during runtime. At the
beginning, I thought my plugins caused the memory leak. However, I
tested with a dummy plugin which does nothing. No variable is created
in the main program except some DEFINE constants in the header file.
Those constants are essential for the application and cannot be
removed. It turns out that memory leak persists.

I just wonder if the application causes memory leak. I was told by tech
support of the application that resources management should be done by
user himself. Any idea if the problem can be fix?

You need first to determine where is the actual problem and a tool like
Valgrind can help
you. Alternatively, you could use some memory debugging library like
dmalloc, but with
valgrind is easiest.