spoiled by visual web developer 2005

Steve Richter

I have discovered that my web appl developed using the visual web
developer 2005 freebie will not work on my godaddy.com web hoster. So
I am using Visual Studio .Net 2003 Enterprise Architect dated April
2004 from an expired MSDN subscription.

Visual Studio .NET 2003, is that the latest Visual Studio for ASP.NET
1.1? Is there a service pack available for install? I dont see one on
the Microsoft web site.

The reason I ask is because I am finding I miss the features of Visual
Web Developer 2005. Is MS going to release VWD 2005 soon so commercial
web hosters can support it?

I can get used to the code behind classes being mandatory in ASP.NET
1.1, but I am finding VS 2003 clumsy as it fails to keep all the code
in sync as I alternate between Design and HTML view.

For example, in VS 2003, I copy HTML or web controls from one .aspx
file to another. Then I rename the just added elements. Which turns out
to be a hassle because there is a lot of code behind code that is not
correctly renamed to stay in sync with the HTML code changes.

Am I just using VS 2003 wrong? Is the editor smarter than it appears?

thanks,

-Steve

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

Hi Steve..
I haven't really used Visual Web Developer.
But try using ASP Web Matrix!
I believe any .NET code you write with that would work anywhere.
Hope that helps
patrick

Robbe Morris [C# MVP]

Nope. you are sol until 2005 comes out in '06 (believe me, it will be '06).
You've highlighted a few bugs in '03 that you'll just have to live with.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Visual Studio 2005 is scheduled to be released in the 2nd half of this year.
I'd bet it will be toward the end of the year.