SQLAlchemy - web framework ?

flebber

If I want to use SQLAlchemy as my ORM what would be the best option for a web framework?

It appears the general advice regarding Django is to do it the Django way and use the django ORM and change it out for SQLAlchemy.

That to me limited knowledge leaves flask, pyramid and turbogears 2. So if I wanted to not build it all myself as with flask then potentially pyramid,turbogears is the best option?

Is this true? I have completed the TG2 intro tutorial and have built several small things with flask although I feel offput by doing anything bigger in flask.

See what I have done is got my python knowledge to a fair point where I cando useful things, good knowledge of web HTML/CSS, built a few small projects in flask to get an idea for python web, completed django tutorials, turogears tutorials and now looking to design out a bigger project I want to set myself and i am trying to compile the parts so I can see what I will needto use and gather info to cover what othe things I will need to know.

Do I have a false fear of flask and doing bigger projects?

So at this point I know I want SQLAlchemy, will use postgres(although mysql/maria would work fine).

Any pratical advice warmly welcomed, I think I am thining too much aimlessly maybe.

http://turbogears.org/
http://www.pylonsproject.org/
http://flask.pocoo.org/
https://www.djangoproject.com/
http://www.tornadoweb.org/en/stable/

Roy Smith

flebber said:
If I want to use SQLAlchemy as my ORM what would be the best option for a web
framework?

It appears the general advice regarding Django is to do it the Django way and
use the django ORM and change it out for SQLAlchemy.

I'm not quite sure how to parse that last sentence. In any case, if
you're afraid of using a third-party ORM with django, don't worry about
that. We make extensive use of django and do not use the supplied ORM
layer. In our case, we couldn't, because we're using MongoDB (we use
mongoengine as our ORM). Django is modular enough that there's really
no problem swapping the ORM out for another component.

Roy Smith

flebber said:
Roy.that is interesting that you can use mongoengine.

Recent google results such as seem to assert there are a lot of inherent risk
in swapping out components, though I may be misinterpreting it.
http://www.slideshare.net/daikeren/tradeoffs-of-replacing-core-components

I wouldn't take every slideshow I find on the net as gospel. There is
risk in doing anything. The only slide I find of much value in that
deck is 22, but that's pretty much a requirement anyway. Most of the
rest is just fear mongering.

FWIW, we don't use any third-party packages, and we don't use the admin.
If those things are important to you, then I agree, swapping out the ORM
will be interesting. Mostly what we use from django are the middleware
framework (we write a lot of our own middleware), url parsing, and view
dispatch.

flebber

One of the main parts that is tripping myself up is that I need to consistently import xml files into my database.

Looking to find the best support and methodologies to do this, that is one of the reasons I am looking at SqlAlchemy.

Sayth