SSCCE

Lew

Patricia said:
I pronounce it "example".

That is brilliant and empowering.

Mike Schilling said:
Patricia said:
I always assumed "www" in URL's was primarily a typed, not spoken,
abbreviation and is 3 keystrokes abbreviating 14.

I've heard Americans say, "DubDubDub".

"www" isn't an abbreviation - it's a component of a host name. Not every web
site uses it. One does not normally speak of viewing something "on the WWW",
they say, "on the World Wide Web".

There are no keystrokes saved because there aren't any
"worldwideweb.seconddomain.com" sites. (Hmm, twelve characters, not
fourteen.) One might argue that they are 2 keystrokes wasted, since a site
could just as easily call itself "w.seconddomain.com".

Joshua Cranmer

Mike said:
It's better then "WWW" (a 9-syllable "abbreviation" for a three-syllable
phrase.)
I generally pronounce it *breath* "dub-u,dub-u,dub-u" (breath because
it's normally followed by "dot {something} dot com slash {blah}").

Joshua Cranmer

Lew said:
"www" isn't an abbreviation - it's a component of a host name. Not
every web site uses it. One does not normally speak of viewing
something "on the WWW", they say, "on the World Wide Web".

Most people would say "on the internet" or "on the intarwebs" or even
just "online".

Hendrik Maryns

Andreas Leitgeb schreef:
... who, btw, are happy that no widespread use for "yyy" has yet come up.
(* upsilonupsilonupsilon *)

ACK. Although sloppily, the Dutch often say ij (sort of I, IPA É›:) for
y, but actually, that is another letter/digraph.

H.
--
Hendrik Maryns
==================

Wojtek

Andrew Thompson wrote :
To those interested in this thread. I will consider
adding any generally popular alternate term to the
page, but I would *not* consider any word based on
'compile'.

Roedy, I think you need to edit your SSCCE page, as that is where I got
the "Short, Self Contained, Compilable Example" from.

Ian Wilson

Patricia said:
I always assumed "www" in URL's was primarily a typed, not spoken,
abbreviation and is 3 keystrokes abbreviating 14.

I suppose some ISPs use "mail.whatever.com" and some use
"smtp.whatever.com" for their e-mail sevice to their subscribers. So
there isn't a clear preference.

I just wish Tim Berners-Lee had decided on "web" as a prefix for the
domain names of servers providing a hypertext service. E.g.
web.whatever.com. That way it would have been as easily spoken as typed.

Patricia Shanahan

Mike Schilling said:

I've heard Americans say, "DubDubDub".

"www" isn't an abbreviation - it's a component of a host name. Not
every web site uses it. One does not normally speak of viewing
something "on the WWW", they say, "on the World Wide Web".

There are no keystrokes saved because there aren't any
"worldwideweb.seconddomain.com" sites. (Hmm, twelve characters, not
fourteen.) One might argue that they are 2 keystrokes wasted, since a
site could just as easily call itself "w.seconddomain.com".

I hate run together words with no separation, so I would type
world_wide_web or, gritting my teeth, worldWideWeb, which requires two
hits on the shift key.

Patricia

Roedy Green

... who, btw, are happy that no widespread use for "yyy" has yet come up.
(* upsilonupsilonupsilon *)

the Esperanto people use ttt instead of www, pronounced tayo tayo
tayo.

I write websites that insist on the www. I am so in the habit of
leaving it off I tend to presume the site is down if the name without
www does not work.

Lew

Patricia said:
I hate run together words with no separation, so I would type
world_wide_web or, gritting my teeth, worldWideWeb, which requires two
hits on the shift key.

I don't know of any sites with those host names, either.

It is unheard-of to find World Wide Web nodes with blanks in the host name.
The case thing doesn't matter to URLs. Underscores also require a shift on
most keyboards, but one could use hyphens, as many sites do. We are, however,
stuck with whatever node names the hosting sites choose, and for some reason
they've mostly chosen www. It isn't an abbreviation, since these sites don't
also exist by any putative "expansion" of "www".

Steven Simpson

Andrew said:
I definitiviely announce that people are welcome
to say it exactly as they like. There is no *wrong*
way to say it.

So, "Throat Wobbler Mangrove" is okay? Great! :-D

Patricia Shanahan

Steven said:
So, "Throat Wobbler Mangrove" is okay? Great! :-D

That is cruel. From now on, I'm not going to be able to see "SSCCE"
without thinking "Throat Wobbler Mangrove" and laughing at inappropriate
times.

Patricia

Pseudo Silk Kimono

Andrew Thompson

On 2007-08-28, Andrew Thompson blabbered on and on about Re: SSCCE in comp.lang.java.programmer w

I think someone should make an entry in wikipedia for this. Any
voluteers? I am an editor but would prefer that someone else do it, or
at least write up what should be put there.

Anybody that chooses to do so, is free to use
whatever sections of the SSCCE document at
my site as might well fit such an entry, up to
including the entire text. (..just mentioned in
case anybody should have any doubts about
it.)

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/