Standalone client database for Python?

Harry George

Gustavo Campanelli said:
What are our options for a standalone (that is one that's not
client/server) easily accesible from Python?
I'm not going to ask for special features as this is only to see what
is avaiable and used (most used most probably meaning well maintained
project).

Thanks in advance

Gedece

For embedded dbms's, you can get bindings for gdbm, dbm, sqlite.

Maybe you could use a client server after all. E.g., you could set up
postgresql so that only a particular user on the local box can access
the database. In terms of access authorization this is equiv of an
embedded dbms.

For "most maintained", mysql and postgresql would be hard to beat in
client/server space. For embedded dbms's, I'd guess Berkeley DB would
be the winner (http://www.sleepycat.com/)

Gustavo Campanelli

What are our options for a standalone (that is one that's not
client/server) easily accesible from Python?
I'm not going to ask for special features as this is only to see what is
avaiable and used (most used most probably meaning well maintained
project).

Thanks in advance

Gedece

Mike C. Fletcher

Gustavo said:
What are our options for a standalone (that is one that's not
client/server) easily accesible from Python?
I'm not going to ask for special features as this is only to see what
is avaiable and used (most used most probably meaning well maintained
project).

Well, here's what jumps to mind:

PySQLite -- SQL based relational
Metakit -- Direct API based relational, the core library is *very*
widely used.
MkSQL -- Less-heavily-used SQL implementation on top of Metakit
Gadfly -- SQL based IIRC, never actually used it myself, is now
distributed with Zope 3 IIRC
KirbyBase -- Never used it, but apparently embeddable

AnyDBM -- e.g. BSDDB, very low-level string:value on-disk-dictionary
mechanisms
mxBeeBase -- low level mechanism for creating databases

Also, as a general rule, you can answer these kinds of questions by
browsing Parnassus', which is quite a useful little resource.
http://www.vex.net/parnassus/

Have fun,
Mike

_______________________________________
Mike C. Fletcher
Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/

Thomas Guettler

Am Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:07:01 -0300 schrieb Gustavo Campanelli:
What are our options for a standalone (that is one that's not
client/server) easily accesible from Python?
I'm not going to ask for special features as this is only to see what is
avaiable and used (most used most probably meaning well maintained
project).

If you don't need a relational database (SQL)
you can look at ZODB.

It is easy accesible from python since
it is coded in python.

thomas

Aaron Watters

Harry George said:
For "most maintained", mysql and postgresql would be hard to beat in
client/server space. For embedded dbms's, I'd guess Berkeley DB would
be the winner (http://www.sleepycat.com/)

Mysql and postgressql are also huge and complicated and not
easily distributed (eg if you want to install on both windows
and unix), unless something has changed. Berkeley DB is more
correctly called a btree and indexing library rather than a
true database in the tradition of SQL databases.

My favorite of courseis gadfly http://gadfly.sourceforge.net
which is

- small
- 100% python (with an optional add on C module for speed)
- SQL based, with recovery and transaction support
- in memory (so it's not appropriate for huge databases,
but it's pretty fast for small ones)
- originally written by me :)

I've also heard good things about pySQLLite and metakit although
they both require installing extension modules and supporting
libraries.

Lately I've been working on http://xsdb.sourceforge.net which is
also 100% python but more appropriate for larger databases.
Just added support for using berkeley db as a back end (in CVS).
I'm hoping to bridge xsdb and gadfly together at some point :).

-- Aaron Watters

===
nothing exceeds like excess

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

Aaron said:
I've also heard good things about pySQLLite and metakit although
they both require installing extension modules and supporting
libraries.

Well, just for clarification: PySQLite does indeed depend on SQLite, but
the Windows binaries are completely standalone - they're statically
linked against SQLite.

Also, SQLite is pretty damn fast and scales to multi-gigabyte databases,
on disk or in-memory.

-- Gerhard

mir nazim

Gustavo Campanelli said:
What are our options for a standalone (that is one that's not
client/server) easily accesible from Python?
I'm not going to ask for special features as this is only to see what is
avaiable and used (most used most probably meaning well maintained
project).

Thanks in advance

Gedece

hi,
well if u don't want SQL based database there is one called KirbyBase.
it is written in python. it is a single file. sample multiuser server
is included.i have not used it but may be helpful for u. u can find
it here.

www.netpromi.com/kirbybase.html