standalone webservice

Philipp Kraus

Hello,

I would like to create a webservice with java. I have got a PHP based
CMS with a nuSOAP interface and this interface should call the java
based via HTTP/HTTPs, which runs on another host. The java WS should
run a shell command on the host and returns the data (blocking
communication). It should work a little bit like Jenkins shell access.

I don't want to install a Tomcat or anything else for running a full
webserver. My idea is, that the user which runs the WS that a Jar is
downloaded and this is run directly, bind it to a definied port and IP
address and the use need set the shell command. How can I do this with
Java?

Thanks a lot

Phil

Jeff Higgins

Hello,

I would like to create a webservice with java. I have got a PHP based
CMS with a nuSOAP interface and this interface should call the java
based via HTTP/HTTPs, which runs on another host. The java WS should run
a shell command on the host and returns the data (blocking
communication). It should work a little bit like Jenkins shell access.

I don't want to install a Tomcat or anything else for running a full
webserver.

Sounds like an embedded Jetty...
My idea is,

but, I'm not sure I understand beyond here.

markspace

I don't want to install a Tomcat or anything else for running a full
webserver. My idea is, that the user which runs the WS that a Jar is
downloaded and this is run directly, bind it to a definied port and IP
address

Nope, cant' do that, anymore than you can define a web service that
downloads and installs PHP for you so you can run the WS in PHP.

If you don't want to use Tomcat, you'll have to use a ServerSocket and
parse the SOAP data yourself. You'll still have to start the program so
it can listen on a port. I think it'll be easier just to use Tomcat or
another container, but that's your call.

Arne Vajhøj

I would like to create a webservice with java. I have got a PHP based
CMS with a nuSOAP interface and this interface should call the java
based via HTTP/HTTPs, which runs on another host. The java WS should run
a shell command on the host and returns the data (blocking
communication). It should work a little bit like Jenkins shell access.

I don't want to install a Tomcat or anything else for running a full
webserver. My idea is, that the user which runs the WS that a Jar is
downloaded and this is run directly, bind it to a definied port and IP
address and the use need set the shell command. How can I do this with
Java?

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/doc...l#publish(java.lang.String, java.lang.Object)

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Nope, cant' do that, anymore than you can define a web service that
downloads and installs PHP for you so you can run the WS in PHP.

If you don't want to use Tomcat, you'll have to use a ServerSocket and
parse the SOAP data yourself. You'll still have to start the program so
it can listen on a port. I think it'll be easier just to use Tomcat or
another container, but that's your call.

For mysterious reasons they actually added web services server side to
Java SE when they added web services client side.

So a Java EE web container is not strictly necessary.

(but probably a good idea for any serious usage)

Arne