std::transform container => std::abs(container)

Steven T. Hatton

This code works for dividing each element of a boost::array<> by a value of
its element type:

template <typename T, size_t S>
inline boost::array<T, S>& operator/=( boost::array<T, S>& lhs, const T&
rhs ) {
std::transform( lhs.begin()
, lhs.end()
, lhs.begin()
, std::bind2nd( std::divides<T>(), rhs ) );
return lhs;
}

I want to use std::transform in a similar fashion to set each element of a
boost::array<> to the result of applying std::abs() to it.

The result can easily be obtained with this code:

template <typename T, size_t Order_S>
inline boost::array<T, Order_S>& abs( boost::array<T, Order_S>& v ) {
for ( size_t i = 0; i < v.size(); i++ ) {
v[ i ] = std::abs( v[ i ] );
}
return v;
}

I would like to know how to apply a function such as std::abs in a way
similar to the use of std::bind2nd ( std::divides<T>(), rhs ) in the above
example. How can this be done?

--
"If our hypothesis is about anything and not about some one or more
are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand

Siemel Naran

Steven T. Hatton said:
std::transform( lhs.begin()
, lhs.end()
, lhs.begin()
, std::bind2nd( std::divides<T>(), rhs ) );
I want to use std::transform in a similar fashion to set each element of a
boost::array<> to the result of applying std::abs() to it.

Here is one way

int (*absolute)(int) = &std::abs;
std::transform(lhs.begin()
, lhs.end()
, lhs.begin()
, absolute );

}

I want to use std::transform in a similar fashion to set each element
of a boost::array<> to the result of applying std::abs() to it.

The result can easily be obtained with this code:

template <typename T, size_t Order_S>
inline boost::array<T, Order_S>& abs( boost::array<T, Order_S>& v
) {
for ( size_t i = 0; i < v.size(); i++ ) {
v[ i ] = std::abs( v[ i ] );
}
return v;
}

I would like to know how to apply a function such as std::abs in a way
similar to the use of std::bind2nd ( std::divides<T>(), rhs ) in the
above example. How can this be done?

Write you're own functor:

template < typename T > struct my_abs
{
typedef T return_type;

T operator () ( T const &arg ) const
{
return std::abs( arg );

/* or even better (ADL friendly version):
*/
using std::abs;
return abs( arg );
}
};

The other alternative is to put a cast into the call to
std::transform:

std::transform(
lhs.begin(), lhs.end(), lhs.begin(),
static_cast< T (*)(T) >( std::abs )
);

The disadvantage here is that for T = short (for example) there
is no overload short std::abs( short ), so the static_cast can't
succeed. Also Argument Dependant Lookup (ADL) can't be used.

Remember to include <cstdlib> and <cmath> so that you get all the
overloads of std::abs, also unless you use an ADL friendly functor
you'll need to include <complex> before calling std::abs if you want
your code to work with std::complex (this also applies valarray).

Rob.

Siemel Naran

Rob Williscroft said:
template < typename T > struct my_abs
{
typedef T return_type;

T operator () ( T const &arg ) const
{
return std::abs( arg );

/* or even better (ADL friendly version):
*/
using std::abs;
return abs( arg );
}
};

The standard typedef names are result_type and argument_type. These allow
compatibility with other standard binders in STL and boost like
std::bind2nd.

template < typename T > struct my_abs
{
typedef T argument_type;
typedef T result_type;
T operator () ( T const &arg ) const
{
using std::abs;
return abs( arg );
}
};

My preferred way is to derive from std::unary_function<argument_type,
result_type>.

template < typename T > struct my_abs : std::unary_function<T, T>
{
T operator () ( T const &arg ) const
{
using std::abs;
return abs( arg );
}
};

Rob Williscroft

Siemel Naran wrote in
in
comp.lang.c++:
The standard typedef names are result_type

Thanks I always get this wrong.
and argument_type.

AIUI (I haven't researched this myself, just going on snippets
from usenet) argument_type isn't needed (used).
These
allow compatibility with other standard binders in STL and boost like
std::bind2nd.

template < typename T > struct my_abs
{
typedef T argument_type;
typedef T result_type;
T operator () ( T const &arg ) const
{
using std::abs;
return abs( arg );
}
};

My preferred way is to derive from std::unary_function<argument_type,
result_type>.

Yep, but that does add an extra byte to the function object in some
cases:

struct my_functor : std::binary_function< int, int, bool >
{
std::less< int > m_less;
// operator here ...
};

The above has 2 subobjects of type std::binary_function< int, int, bool >
so EBO (Empty Base (class) Optimization) can't happen.

I am perhapse being needlessly pedantic (and possibly I'm premeturly
optimizing), OTOH typing "typedef T result_type;" is shorter (and IMO
less cryptic) than writing " : std::unary_function< T, T > ".

If only I could remember result_type not return_type all would be
well :).

Either way I have to lookup result_type or binary_function /
unary_function as I'm actualy not sure the bool return type above
shouldn't be the first argument.

Rob.