Still looking for a Ruby MUD client

James Edward Gray II

I'm still looking for a Ruby-scriptable Telnet/MUD client. Does
anyone know of one?

You could make one and make at least one person happy, it seems. ;)

Sorry I don't know of any.

James Edward Gray II

Sy

On Aug 20, 2005, at 3:38 PM, Sy wrote:
=20
=20
You could make one and make at least one person happy, it seems. ;)

I seriously thought of that. Then I realised how dismayed I was when
seeing other amateur-night software out there in a "category killer"
position which has been left unfinished for years by the sole
developer.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to fall into that trap.

Yes, this is a very very very big itch of mine.. but somehow a MUD
client doesn't feel like a good newbie project to me.

But it seems so easy.. argh.

I'll think about it.

Martin DeMello

Sy said:
Yes, this is a very very very big itch of mine.. but somehow a MUD
client doesn't feel like a good newbie project to me.

But it seems so easy.. argh.

I'll think about it.

Drop by #ruby-lang sometime and ping eumario - he's in the process of
writing one.

martin

Sy

I'm still looking for a Ruby-scriptable Telnet/MUD client. Does
anyone know of one?

For the interest of the thread-watchers, I found an emerging Ruby mu*
client project: vwmc

vwmc is a cross-platform native Ruby language GTK 2.0 MU* (Telnet)
client written by Mario Steele. It has been released under the LGPL
license.

Homepage:
http://www.trilake.net/vwmc/

My notes:
http://jrandomhacker.info/mw/index.php/Vwmc

While not yet in a stable form, its goals will be to create a
client:server model which allows for client-side processing of
scriptlets.

An application has been submitted to RubyForge to open up a project
there. The program is available at:
http://www.trilake.net/vwmc/files/vwmclient-0.1.0.rb and the source
may be obtained with "vwmclient-0.1.0.rb --tar2rubyscript-justextract"

Currently, developers can meet on freenode at #vwmc

Dave Burt

Sy said:
I seriously thought of that. Then I realised how dismayed I was when
seeing other amateur-night software out there in a "category killer"
position which has been left unfinished for years by the sole
developer.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to fall into that trap.

Yes, this is a very very very big itch of mine.. but somehow a MUD
client doesn't feel like a good newbie project to me.

But it seems so easy.. argh.

I'll think about it.

I think a MUD is a good newbie project. I would recommend starting writing
code. You will learn as you go, especially if you bounce ideas off more
experienced Rubyists. You could ask questions on this list. This way, you
avoid only half-owning the project. And you can rewrite it later, when you
figure out how you should have written it.

Cheers,
Dave

Greg Millam

I think a MUD is a good newbie project. I would recommend starting writing
code. You will learn as you go, especially if you bounce ideas off more
experienced Rubyists. You could ask questions on this list. This way, you
avoid only half-owning the project. And you can rewrite it later, when you
figure out how you should have written it.

I've done this a few times, in multiple languages. Highly recommended.

Although I do have the benefit of working a lot on the PennMUSH engine.
The only MUD-related project I've done in ruby that's still around is a
'bot' that connects to the mu* and players utilize online scripted
commands to interact with its features.

If anyone's up for making a ruby mud game for the heck of it, I'm up for
being included.

- Greg

Sy

I think a MUD is a good newbie project. I would recommend starting writin= g
code. You will learn as you go, especially if you bounce ideas off more
experienced Rubyists. You could ask questions on this list. This way, you
avoid only half-owning the project. And you can rewrite it later, when yo= u
figure out how you should have written it.

A MUD would be a horrifically complex and lengthy project, which I
have no interest whatsoever in writing.

There is at least one Ruby dungeon out there, and I've no idea what
its status is.. there appears to be a couple of dozen semi-functional
reinventions of the wheel out there, none of which make me
particularly happy. I wouldn't want to go anywhere near that problem
space. =3D)

I'm better suited to a supporting role for an existing MUD *client*
project.. and even that would be over my head for a good while.

Lyndon Samson

------=_Part_1013_12255320.1125369542528

=20
=20 =20
=20
I've done this a few times, in multiple languages. Highly recommended.
=20
Although I do have the benefit of working a lot on the PennMUSH engine.
The only MUD-related project I've done in ruby that's still around is a
'bot' that connects to the mu* and players utilize online scripted
commands to interact with its features.
=20
If anyone's up for making a ruby mud game for the heck of it, I'm up for
being included.

Sounds like fun, a basic engine shouldnt take long, then add features as we=
=20
go!

- Greg

--=20
Into RFID? www.rfidnewsupdate.com <http://www.rfidnewsupdate.com> Simple,=
=20
fast, news.

------=_Part_1013_12255320.1125369542528--

James Edward Gray II

A MUD would be a horrifically complex and lengthy project, which I
have no interest whatsoever in writing.

I wrote my own MUD in Perl a few years back. It's not THAT bad.
Just little ole me working alone. Yes it took me quite some time and
I guess it only ever made it to "toy" status[1], but I sure did learn
a lot doing it. Great fun, I say.

James Edward Gray II

1: Wizards could modify it with Perl code on the fly though. That
came out neat!

James Edward Gray II

There is at least one Ruby dungeon out there, and I've no idea what
its status is..

FaerieMUD is an interesting Ruby MUD project. I've sat in on a
couple of their meeting and traded some emails with them. I didn't
stick with the project, because they're very into "big up-front
design" and I tend to plan a little and get coding, sorting the rest
out as I go.

I mean no disrespect to them and their project though, some of their
ideas are pure gold. I highly recommend at least chatting them up,
if you're interested in Ruby MUDs...

James Edward Gray II

Jon A. Lambert

Sy said:
A MUD would be a horrifically complex and lengthy project, which I
have no interest whatsoever in writing.

Nah, here's a complete mud in a mere 15 lines of ruby thats loaded with
features.

require 'socket';require 'yaml';def q x;$m.find{|o|o.t==:p&&x==o.n};end
def a r,t;$m.find_all{|o|t==o.t&&(!r||r==o.l)};end;def g
z;a(nil,:p).each{|p|
p.p z};end;class O;attr_accessor :i,:n,:l,:e,:s,:t;def initialize
n,l=nil,t=:r
@n,@l,@i,@t=n,l,$d+=1,t;@e={};end;def p s;@s.puts(s)if @s;end;def y m
v=$m.find{|o|@l==o.i};t=v.e.keys;case m;when/^q/;@s.close;@s=nil;
File.open('d','w'){|f|YAML::dump $m,f};when/^h/;p "i,l,d,g,c,h,q,<exit>,O,R"
when/^i/;a(@i,:eek:).each{|o|p o.n};when/^c.* (.*)/;g "#{@n}:#{$1}"
when/^g/;a(@l,:eek:).each{|q|q.l=@i};when/^d/;a(@i,:eek:).each{|q|q.l=@l}
when/^O (.*)/;$m<<O.new($1,@l,:eek:);when/^R (.*) (.*) (.*)/;$m<<d=O.new($1)
v.e[$2]=d.i;d.e[$3]=v.i;when/^l/;p v.n;(a(@l,:p)+a(@l,:eek:)).each{|x|
p x.n if x.s||x.t=:eek:};p t.join '|';when/(^#{t.empty? ? "\1" :
t.join('|^')})/
@l=v.e[$1];else;p "?";end;end;end;test ?e,'d'||begin;$d=0;$m=[O.new("Home")]
end;$m=YAML::load_file 'd';$d=$m.size;z=TCPServer.new 0,4000;while
k=z.accept
Thread.new(k){|s|s.puts "Name";s.gets;l=$_.chomp;d=q l;$m<<d=O.new(l,1,:p)if
!d
d.s=s;while s.gets;d.y $_.chomp;end;};end

Enjoy.

Jon A. Lambert

Lyndon said:
Sounds like fun, a basic engine shouldnt take long, then add features
as we go!

I've been screwing around...
http://sourcery.dyndns.org/teensymud/index.html

It sort of grew out of that obfuscated mess I just posted.
I code by the seat of me pants. Should have new
release later tonight. There's a subversion repository
for it if you want to join the party or just follow it.

Dave Burt

Jon said:
Nah, here's a complete mud in a mere 15 lines of ruby thats loaded with
features.
p x.n if x.s||x.t=:eek:};p t.join '|';when/(^#{t.empty? ? "\1" : t.join('|^')})/
^
I believe that's a bug - "=" should be "==" :)

Cheers,
Dave

Sy

I look for months for a ruby mud client or at least something that can
script in it and I come up dry.. a side-comment on mud engines
themselves generates huge interest. =3D)

A mud engine which can support 500 people on a moderate setup whose
mechanics are a bit more complecated than the original
Rolemaster/spacemaster rpg.. no, I'm not going there just yet,
although it would be an interesting way to make my revised game
mechanics come to life.

James Edward Gray II

I look for months for a ruby mud client or at least something that can
script in it and I come up dry..

If we can write a Ruby MUD in 15 lines, surely we can do the same for
a scriptable client, eh? It's really not a hard challenge to cook
one up. I can't believe we haven't talked you into it yet... ;)

James Edward Gray II

Jon A. Lambert

Sy said:
I look for months for a ruby mud client or at least something that can
script in it and I come up dry.. a side-comment on mud engines
themselves generates huge interest. =)

Well a ruby mud client might be 2 or 3 lines of code considering there's a
somewhat useful Telnet class already in the standard library. ;-)