Storing a datatable (or arraylist )on ASP.NET Session

Guest

Hi;

I want to store a datatable (or an arraylist) as a session variable but when
I try;

Session["_al_RecNo"] = al_RecNo;

I get an error that;

"Cannot implicitly convert type 'System.Collections.ArrayList' to 'string'"

But I now that we can store objects in session. I have done this before on
VS.NET 2003. What is wrong with that? Is there an option that we can
activate? How can I store an arraylist or a datatable as a session variable?

Thanks a lot

Michael Nemtsev

Hello basulasz,

could you demonstrate your code?

Seems that you are using the outproc session state, where your object in
session must be serializable

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

b> Hi;
b>
b> I want to store a datatable (or an arraylist) as a session variable
b> but when I try;
b>
b> Session["_al_RecNo"] = al_RecNo;
b>
b> I get an error that;
b>
b> "Cannot implicitly convert type 'System.Collections.ArrayList' to
b> 'string'"
b>
b> But I now that we can store objects in session. I have done this
b> before on VS.NET 2003. What is wrong with that? Is there an option
b> that we can activate? How can I store an arraylist or a datatable as
b> a session variable?
b>
b> Thanks a lot
b>

Guest

Hi Michael;

There is noting interesting in the code, just creating arraylists and
defining values like below

ArrayList al_RecNo = new ArrayList();
ArrayList al_Mess = new ArrayList();
ArrayList al_Type = new ArrayList();

Session["_al_RecNo"] = (object)al_RecNo;
Session["_al_Mess"] = (object)al_Mess;
Session["_al_Type"] = (object)al_Type;

In this case does session state make any sense? For example on my project
there is no definition in web.config file about SessionState. But on web
server the SessionState is configured as InProc and session variables is
stored on web server's local sql database. What should I do in this case?
Should I configure my project to store variables on local sql server? Is it
not possible to store arraylist or datatable object on session without
storing variables on sql server?

Thanks...

Michael Nemtsev

Hello basulasz,

That code works fine. Have you tried to run that in new project.
Perhaps your ArrayList store smth which can't be casted to object. If exactly
that code u shown didn't work (emply arraylists) that I recomment to re-register
asp.net 2.0 calling aspnet_regiis,exe - i

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

b> Hi Michael;
b>
b> There is noting interesting in the code, just creating arraylists and
b> defining values like below
b>
b> ArrayList al_RecNo = new ArrayList();
b> ArrayList al_Mess = new ArrayList();
b> ArrayList al_Type = new ArrayList();
b> Session["_al_RecNo"] = (object)al_RecNo;
b> Session["_al_Mess"] = (object)al_Mess;
b> Session["_al_Type"] = (object)al_Type;
b> In this case does session state make any sense? For example on my
b> project there is no definition in web.config file about SessionState.
b> But on web server the SessionState is configured as InProc and
b> session variables is stored on web server's local sql database. What
b> should I do in this case? Should I configure my project to store
b> variables on local sql server? Is it not possible to store arraylist
b> or datatable object on session without storing variables on sql
b> server?
b>
b> Thanks...
b>
b> "Michael Nemtsev" wrote:
b>
Hello basulasz,

could you demonstrate your code?

Seems that you are using the outproc session state, where your object
in session must be serializable

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/
"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high
and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it" (c)
Michelangelo

basulasz said:
Hi Michael;

There is noting interesting in the code, just creating arraylists and
defining values like below

ArrayList al_RecNo = new ArrayList();
ArrayList al_Mess = new ArrayList();
ArrayList al_Type = new ArrayList();

Session["_al_RecNo"] = (object)al_RecNo;
Session["_al_Mess"] = (object)al_Mess;
Session["_al_Type"] = (object)al_Type;

In this case does session state make any sense? For example on my project
there is no definition in web.config file about SessionState. But on web
server the SessionState is configured as InProc and session variables is
stored on web server's local sql database.

Which is it? InProc means that the sessions are stored in memory, not in
an SQL Server database.

If the web.config contains settings for an SQL Server database, but the
mode is InProc, the rest of the settings are ignored.
What should I do in this case?
Should I configure my project to store variables on local sql server? Is it
not possible to store arraylist or datatable object on session without
storing variables on sql server?

The opposite. Using InProc you can store most objects in session
variables, but using a database they have to be serializable.