str.Template 4 times slower than calling replace multiple times

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jack Steven, Mar 9, 2009.

  1. Jack Steven

    Jack Steven Guest

    Isn't string.Template suppose to be faster than calling replace multiple
    times? That's what I thought until I benchmarked this code, where
    string.Template ended up being 4 times slower.

    This doesn't make sense to me, since unlike when you are calling replace
    multiple times, code behind Template can scan the string only once, and it
    doesn't have to allocate multiple strings. So why is slower? Is there a way
    to improve it's speed?

    from string import Template
    from time import time

    def test1(format, user, channel, message):
    nick, id, host = user
    s = format
    s = s.replace('$nick', nick)
    s = s.replace('$id', id)
    s = s.replace('$host', host)
    s = s.replace('$channel', channel)
    s = s.replace('$message', message)

    def test2(format, user, channel, message):
    nick, id, host = user
    s = Template(format)
    d = {
    'nick': nick,
    'id': id,
    'host': host,
    'channel': channel,
    'message': message,
    }
    s = s.substitute(d)

    user = ('jacks-', 'id', '127.0.0.1')
    channel = '#test'
    message = 'this is a message'
    format = '<[email protected]$host> $message'

    for test in (test1, test2):
    start = time()
    for i in xrange(100000):
    test(format, user, channel, message)
    end = time()
    print 'Done in %f seconds' % (end - start)

    Jack Steven, Mar 9, 2009

  2. Jack Steven

    John Machin Guest

    A couple of points:
    (a) string.Template is written in Python, not C so (1) it runs slower
    (2) you can get some of your answer from the source on your computer
    (b) It has to be smarter than shotgun replaces ... You may know that
    your template contains "$nick" and not "$nick $nickname $nickers" but
    it doesn't.

    John Machin, Mar 9, 2009

  3. Jack Steven

    Chris Rebert Guest

    IOW, the comparison being made is fatally flawed, hence the
    unfavorable but incorrect results.

    Cheers,
    Chris

    Chris Rebert, Mar 9, 2009