Strange behaviour in IRB using # sign

Paul Pladijs

Hi all,

I'm using IRB in a DOS box on Windows XP. I'm experiencing problems with the
'#' sign.

When typing the '#' sign, IRB puts the sign in front of the line, so the whole
line changes into a comment. Afterwards it shows a new prompt.

Here is an example:

I want to type this:

a = 1
b = " #{a}"

When typing this in IRB I get:

irb(main):001:0> a = 1
=> 1
irb(main):002:0> #b = "
irb(main):003:0* {a}"
irb(main):004:0"

From the moment I type the '#' sign, this sign gets placed before the b variable.

This makes IRB almost unusable for me :-(

If I use eval.rb it works fine:

ruby> a = 1
1
ruby> b = " #{a}"
" 1"
ruby>

Is this bug in IRB or Windows? What can I do about it?

Many thanks in advance,
Paul.

Thomas Wieczorek

When typing this in IRB I get:

irb(main):001:0> a = 1
=> 1
irb(main):002:0> #b = "
irb(main):003:0* {a}"
irb(main):004:0"

It works fine on my machine(XP, Ruby 1.8.6):
irb(main):001:0> a = 1
=> 1
irb(main):002:0> b = " #{a}"
=> " 1"
irb(main):003:0> VERSION
=> "1.8.6"
irb(main):004:0>

Todd Benson

Hi all,

I'm using IRB in a DOS box on Windows XP. I'm experiencing problems with the
'#' sign.

When typing the '#' sign, IRB puts the sign in front of the line, so the whole
line changes into a comment. Afterwards it shows a new prompt.

Here is an example:

I want to type this:

a = 1
b = " #{a}"

When typing this in IRB I get:

irb(main):001:0> a = 1
=> 1
irb(main):002:0> #b = "
irb(main):003:0* {a}"
irb(main):004:0"

From the moment I type the '#' sign, this sign gets placed before the b variable.

This makes IRB almost unusable for me :-(

Maybe you should show your versions, and what you use for Ruby (like
one-click install, cygwin, or mingw). That might allow people to help
you a little.

Todd

Paul Pladijs

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

I'm using Ruby version 1.8.4. It is installed from a one-click installer,
called 184-20, distributed by "The RubyInstaller Team".

My work environment is a virtual machine with Windows XP running on VMWare 5.5.2.

Thanks,
Paul.