Strange error - Connection with the server could not be establishe

Guest

Hi all - I have a problem which is driving me insane. I've been using VS.NET 2003 on my computer for 6 month with no problems but now I suddenly get the following error message when I try to create a new asp.net project or open existing asp.net projects:
"the web server reported the following error when attempting to create or open the web project located at the following URL: 'http://localhost/MyURL'. 'A connection with the server could not be established'"

I've been searching on the net and tried most of it but nothing seems to work. Some hints which might help you are:
- Some projects that allready exists can not be opened either while some projects can. I have tried to compare the projects but I can't see any difference at all.
- If a create a new virtual dir from the IIS admin application (mmc) AND creates the corresponding physical dir in the same "create virtual directory" dialogue - THEN I can create a new web project inside this virtual directory. But this is the only way for me to create a new web project - e.g. if I try to create a dir in file explorer and then create a virtual dir that points to this dir then I get the error message I described.

Does anyone have a clue whats wrong here?

Thanks
Thomas