Strange errors on a page with IE 6

Ioannis

I have one page which for some reason misbehaves on my IE
(6.0.2800xpsp2.050301) and displays two errors which I have no idea what they
are:

http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/spectroscope/phasmaplan.html

Clicking on the error icon after the page loads, IE reports two errors:

Line: 3
Char: 20
Error: Expected ';'
Code: 0

and

Line: 271
Char: 1
Error: Object Expected
Code: 0

I am using old and deprecated plain html, but I cannot find the culprit. Is
there a possibility the server alters the page somehow? I can see that it adds
some stuff to the end, but these errors happen only on this page.
Additionally, they also happen on "html preview" with WinEdt when I edit this
page. Then after I load the page on the server, no errors reported. The second
time the page loads, the errors show up.

I am using deprecated html on all my pages, but IE complains only on this one.

Any ideas? TIA

Jonathan N. Little

Ioannis said:
[...]

No error with 6.0.2800.1106 on Win2K But if I had to guess the only
JavaScript is your JavaScript counter at the bottom...maybe your
firewall blocking the referrer or something causing the counter function
to fail?

Ioannis

[snip]
No error with 6.0.2800.1106 on Win2K But if I had to guess the only
JavaScript is your JavaScript counter at the bottom...maybe your
firewall blocking the referrer or something causing the counter function
to fail?

But are these errors I report related to js? All my pages on my 200+ website
contain this same javascript counter. I actually had to copy/paste the js
manually. My IE complains only on this page. Many thanks however for checking
it. Perhaps it's my version of IE that does that.

BootNic

Ioannis said:
1174607055.21065@athnrd02
[...]

Replace +/- in the following:

with &plusmn; and it would not hurt a bit to replace all the
<sup>o</sup> with &deg;

Someday you may consider making it valid .

--
BootNic Thursday, March 22, 2007 9:12 PM

You can turn painful situations around through laughter. If you can
find humor in anything - even poverty - you can survive it.
*Bill Cosby*

Ioannis

[snip]
Replace +/- in the following:

with &plusmn; and it would not hurt a bit to replace all the
<sup>o</sup> with &deg;

By Jove, you've got it! Many thanks for this. If you want you can email me at
jgal (at) ath dot forthnet dot gr with either your email address or webpage if
you have one, so I can add it to the credits :)
Someday you may consider making it valid .

I should. Someday. My website is over 25 megabytes and I keep postponing it.

Again, many thanks!

BootNic

Ioannis said:
[snip]
By Jove, you've got it! Many thanks for this. If you want you can
email me at jgal (at) ath dot forthnet dot gr with either your email
address or webpage if you have one, so I can add it to the credits :)

You are welcome, and a Thank you is sufficient :)

My email is a valid email providing you know what makes it bounce.

Spam is so popular I would rather not have my newsgroup email posted
about the web. Every once in a while I get an email that is not spam.

[snip]

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Ioannis:
I have one page which for some reason misbehaves on my IE
(6.0.2800xpsp2.050301) and displays two errors which I have no idea
what they are:

In any case, they are error messages about JavaScript constructs. IE doesn't
bother telling the user anything about HTML or CSS errors. You can also make
it suppress JavaScript error messages; many people do that, either knowing
what they are doing or not knowing that.
http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/spectroscope/phasmaplan.html

Clicking on the error icon after the page loads, IE reports two
errors:

Line: 3

Did you check what actually appears on line 3? (View Source) You might get
something different from what others get, for various reasons (e.g.,
decisions by the server, or filtering somewhere). Or this might refer to a
line in an external file, who knows.
Line: 271

This seems to refer to a <script> element after </html>. It's syntactically
invalid, and you should expect nothing specific except differences between
browsers and odd behavior.
Is there a possibility the server alters the page somehow?

Of course. It's the server that sends it.
I can see that it adds some stuff to the end,

Well, that means altering, doesn't it? And making it invalid.
I am using deprecated html on all my pages, but IE complains only on
this one.

So what? Web pages often have scripting errors, which may or may not mean
anything. But you can _know_ that the element after </html> is an error. Fix
it if you can. This may mean that you need to give up using "free" web
space. TANSTAAFL!

(The server-side code that the script element invokes may perform some
checking and do different things according to the "calling" page. This is
just a potential explanation that might make you feel more comfortable.
:) )

Ioannis

[snip]
You are welcome, and a Thank you is sufficient :)

My email is a valid email providing you know what makes it bounce.

Spam is so popular I would rather not have my newsgroup email posted
about the web. Every once in a while I get an email that is not spam.

As you wish. For the record, I saw how much time you spent on this (it's
recorded on my webstats, where you are testing the page on your server - but
will eventually be flushed out as time passes). This problem has been plaguing
me since at least 2000.

My website contains oodles of technical info. The best satisfaction for me is
to occasionally see someone who is equally willing to offer free help and
info.

My best regards to you and may the daemon of confusion not bother you for 30
years :)