Strange IRB Syntax Error

Robert Klemme

Hi,

while playing around a bit I encountered this:

irb(main):001:0> RUBY_VERSION
"1.7.3"
irb(main):002:0> class Trivial
irb(main):003:1> def initialize(n)
irb(main):004:2> @n = n
irb(main):005:2> end
irb(main):006:1>
irb(main):007:1* def n
irb(main):008:2> @n
irb(main):009:2> end
irb(main):010:1>
irb(main):011:1* def == (anOther)
irb(main):012:1> @n == anOther.n
irb(main):013:1> end
SyntaxError: compile error
(irb):13: syntax error
from (irb):13
irb(main):014:0>
irb(main):015:0* def <=>(anOther)
irb(main):016:1> @n <=> anOther.n
irb(main):017:1> end
nil
irb(main):018:0>
irb(main):019:0* def eql?(o); self == o; end
nil
irb(main):020:0> end
SyntaxError: compile error
(irb):20: syntax error
from (irb):20
irb(main):021:0>

Strangely when parsed from a file there's no error. Why is that so? Does
it have to do with the specific way IRB parses inputs or is it a bug?

Regards

robert

nobu.nokada

Hi,

At Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:03:11 +0900,
Robert said:
while playing around a bit I encountered this:

irb(main):001:0> RUBY_VERSION
"1.7.3"

It's too old, and fixed already.

Note that 1.7 was old development version, and isn't supported.

Robert Klemme

Hi,

At Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:03:11 +0900,

It's too old, and fixed already.

Note that 1.7 was old development version, and isn't supported.

Ok, thank's for clarifying though. Next week I'll see whether I can get a
newer Win installation.

robert