strange sql connection prob

Tim Almond

Already posted to sql server group but maybe some help here....

If I run my application, I get a 'database does not exist'. If I then go
onto the machine with the database on (different machine) and log in to
query analyser, I can then go back to the web browser, it connects fine.

Three machines involved...
My PC
web server
db server

Order of events is...
go onto my PC, try and connect to web server via HTTP... fails with unknown
DB
do a remote connection to db server, log in

It seems strange, like logging into the DB starts it polling itself as alive
or something.

Can someone please help? Would putting in the IP address be better than the
server name?