String manipulation advice needed.

Raaijmakers, Vincent (GE Infrastructure)

What is the easiest way of getting this information out of a string:

foo = "My number 70 is what I want to parse" => 70
foo = "My info {info} between the curly brackets is what I want to parse" => {info}
foo = "My info between [hello world] is what I want to parse" => [hello world]

At this moment my way to go is splitting the strings in substring, and do different checks on these substrings like:
- try: int(substring)
- substring.find('{') or substring.find('[')

Works but.. my guess is that it can be way more smarter, I must miss a strong library that can help me in simplifying the job.

Thanks,
Vincent